New pellet brand, anyone seen these before?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clay H

Feeling the Heat
Sep 9, 2009
Central Oklahoma
The preliminary review is great. I give these an a+ compared to the other pellets I have used in years past. No dust - is that even possible? Yes there was no dust or fines to speak of when I dumped the bag in the stove. Very few ashes - on the third bag and ash pan had maybe a cup of ash - and the glass has just a slight haze on it rather than being all black which is what I would have with the other pellets (Tidy timbers) from Lowes.
I got these at Atwoods in Norman, OK and will go get more this weekend after I return the half ton of tidy timbers to Lowes. These were the same price as every other pellet in my area (4.99/bag).
photo-21.jpg

I've never seen that brand but I've burned Pro Pellets from Fiber By-Products and they were pretty good. They were made from Indiana hardwood.

Fiber bi products?

Oh ok
I am so impressed by the amount of heat, low amount of ash and lack of black soot on the glass! I have to tell Lowes to start buying these.

I seem to remember a year or so back that there was a beetle invasion happening in Indiana.

IIRC there was an order to not transport any wood across state lines. Lumber or firewood.

I'll bet the Fiber source is beetle kill wood. A great source for the raw pellet material.

Here is a quarantine info site.
http://extension.entm.purdue.edu/EAB/index.php?page=quarantine/index

---Nailer---

nailed_nailer said:
I seem to remember a year or so back that there was a beetle invasion happening in Indiana.

IIRC there was an order to not transport any wood across state lines. Lumber or firewood.

I'll bet the Fiber source is beetle kill wood. A great source for the raw pellet material.

Here is a quarantine info site.
http://extension.entm.purdue.edu/EAB/index.php?page=quarantine/index

---Nailer---

While the emerald ash borer has devastated many species of ash trees in the midwest I'm not aware of any effort to harvest the wood from these trees. Unlike the western Lodgepole pines who have also suffered from beetle kills, the ash trees mostly grow in mixed specie forests and woodlots where they are not the dominant tree... unlike the lodgepoles where large stands of the trees have been killed.

Outfits like Fiber by-products likely draw their stocks of raw material from the many wood products manufacturers in the northern Indiana and southern Michigan areas... that's IF there are many still in biz after this recession.

Status
Not open for further replies.