new pellet stove owner(or soon to be)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

Sep 20, 2014
east texas
H i. This is my first time posting. Been doing alot of research on the various pellet stoves . ive been burning wood for 20 years,15 years in a dutch west with catalytic and blower. heated my whole house. just turned 59. tired of cutting, splitting,etc.i have a dealer near this small town i live in. that sells harman,lopi and quadra fire. all the really expensive ones.they are good though. but im looking at the england stoves, just went to lowes today and seen the 25 pdv. for the first time in person. wow. really heavly built with monster augers. im leaning that way with the clearence price of 959.00. what do you guys think

I don't know very much about that stove but you can check the ratings on here and type the stove you want into the forums you will find discussions on that stove to read may help you to make your decission welcome by the way.

What is your square footage shows that stove to heat a maximum of 1500 square feet only has a40lb hopper u may be getting up in the middle of the night to refill with such a small hopper just some things to think about.

H i. This is my first time posting. Been doing alot of research on the various pellet stoves . ive been burning wood for 20 years,15 years in a dutch west with catalytic and blower. heated my whole house. just turned 59. tired of cutting, splitting,etc.i have a dealer near this small town i live in. that sells harman,lopi and quadra fire. all the really expensive ones.they are good though. but im looking at the england stoves, just went to lowes today and seen the 25 pdv. for the first time in person. wow. really heavly built with monster augers. im leaning that way with the clearence price of 959.00. what do you guys think
Look at and read the reviews of the PDV25 ( it's 42000 BTU input incidentally) and then go to that Harman dealer and look at the P43 ( 43000 BTU). Compare compare compare, read reviews of both stoves. Note a couple things right off the bat: We have Englander fans here. Some Englander fans are glad when they make the switch to Harman. The P43 is substantially better designed and super well made, it's a hands off stove basically. The Englander has no ash pan, you scoop the ash out of it, the P43 has a substantial ash pan, you dump it once per week with crappy pellets or less often with good ones. The P43 is quieter but it doesn't come with standard brass trim. Look really close at workmanship and reviews before you purchase. Buy once. Both stoves are supposed to be rated for a max 2200 sq ft but that's open to debate of house condition and layout. both stove give very good heat but maintenance is different for each. P series Harmans have it knocked for cleaning, it's a ten minute job once you have it down, 15 as you age. Some stoves are a nightmare by comparison to clean, and you must clean all pellet stoves. This is what sold me on P series Harmans actually ( I own the P61A). I'm not familiar enough with the 25 so I won't comment on cleaning one. I did look at them when we were looking to change from coal to pellets and we bought the Harman is best I can tell you. We saved, actually waited for an investment to mature so to specifically buy the Harman over the Englander and other brands we looked at, P Harman series that is. Both the wife and I were convinced after careful research . But that was us, you have to decide for yourself.

Tex, interesting avatar! Had almost the same problem with a dozer with only the top of the cab sticking out.
How much heat do you need in east Texas? May not need the full out heat that a Harman can produce for days. If your burning occasionally to chase the chill a smaller or more labor intensive stove may fit your wallet and needs well.

thanks for the welcome yes thatsthe draw back to the pdv-25. . im going back to the dealer this week. but im thinking one thousand versus three or four thousand, the dealer already said he would sell me a lopi leyden he has used for two years for 3600. thats outreagous. i can buy a new one for less i think . consumer reports says 2600 for the lopi.
i have a 2000 square foot house. well insulated. square shaped. here twenty degrees is cold. it might get down to 14 or 15 on occasion. but it does not stay below freezing for more than a few days in a row.

If I was back in the East Texas piney woods I would hit that PDV for $959 in a New York minute. They are selling it for less than its little brother the 25-PDVC till November for some reason.

If you don't like it you could sell if for a grand in a year or two.

yes they had a 25-pdvc for 1099. there must be some surplus inventory., because the plates maufacture date is 2011

They have them on sale for that same price here too now. Just ones they have in stock in the stores.

i thinking it might be a problem with the hopper unpainted for pellets to stick on sides and not feed. i could just paint it myself

Jump on that England's quickly!
I paid 1600 -10% for mine, and it is a great stove!

Bill

i thinking it might be a problem with the hopper unpainted for pellets to stick on sides and not feed. i could just paint it myself
Minimal sticking in the hopper, maybe 5 pounds out of 60 will be stuck when the stove runs out! I actually use real fine sandpaper to clean it periodically. Never painted it, maybe that would make the pellets slide better?

Bill

thanks for the welcome yes thatsthe draw back to the pdv-25. . im going back to the dealer this week. but im thinking one thousand versus three or four thousand, the dealer already said he would sell me a lopi leyden he has used for two years for 3600. thats outreagous. i can buy a new one for less i think . consumer reports says 2600 for the lopi.
i have a 2000 square foot house. well insulated. square shaped. here twenty degrees is cold. it might get down to 14 or 15 on occasion. but it does not stay below freezing for more than a few days in a row.

There is a brand new Lopi Leyden in a stove shop near me for $2600 out the door because they have been discontinued and the dealers are getting them out to make room for the new model.

Status
Not open for further replies.