New Quad/New Wood...Now What?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dinnerbellmel

Jan 1, 2017
Upstate New York
Hi I introduced myself this past weekend. I have a brand spankin' new Quadrafire 7100. I've used it off and on and probably have 20-25 decent fires in it so far. I have a lot to learn but am keeping at it!

Due to the advice from this great forum, I got a moisture meter and determined my wood was less than optimal for burning. Despite purchasing 'seasoned wood' from what I thought was a good sources, I discovered most of the wood registers in the 23-27% moisture range; some even much higher...yikes! I'm glad I discovered it now before I burned more of it and created a creosote mess down the line. Everyone claims they have seasoned firewood but it's most likely not seasoned. I got my wood from 2 different sources and both are above the recommended %.

I'm like any newbie that hasn't had time to develop that great wood stack of 2-3yo seasoned hardwood. So what are my options now? Can I burn the less than optimal wood I have now, selecting the better pieces even though they are over the 20% mark? Perhaps keeping the ACC lever fully open? Do I just slow things a bit by having more infrequent from fires? Any other ideas?

My concern is I will not be able to find any source for truly seasoned wood at this stage. Any recommendations or am I just worrying for no reason? I appreciate any advice you might have.

Mel

If it were me, I would spend my time cutting wood for next year, letting the stuff you bought and the stuff you cut season for a summer. Stay away from Oak, you it won't be ready for next year. Burning 27% + wood is not going to throw much heat, will take forever to start, and will gum up your system like crazy. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but you are getting started really, really late in the game. I see you are in upstate New York, what is the mix of trees where you live, and where you are allowed to cut. You are right on one thing, most firewood sellers do not sell truly seasoned wood; it may have seasoned on the way from the woods to your driveway.

It's hard to find seasoned firewood at this time of year, but sometimes it's out there. Look for folks that have a stash but have stopped burning wood. Check local craigslist and penny shopper ads. Be sceptical and bring your axe or maul + the moisture meter when looking at the wood. Take some random, thick splits and resplit them. Test for moisture if possible or at least put the freshly exposed wood up to your cheek. If it is damp it will feel wet. Pass on that wood and move on to the next. Here is an example:
https://pennysaveronline.com/classified/ads/other-categories/firewood/

-- any pallets available in your area? Many have used them for fire-starters & burning. In our area, however, they are often rain soaked.
--buy a pallet of energy logs/bio-bricks or whatever is available in your area
--any good neighbors that would trade you a bit of truly seasoned wood for some of your not so seasoned?
--build your fire with a not so seasoned log/split on the side(s) & your hot fire in the middle. The fire will dry the side pieces & you can roll them to the middle. Understand, that you are using a good part of your btu's to dry the wood, rather than heat you home.
--keep track of your flue/stack for possible creosote build-up

Reactions: neverbilly
got a Tractor Supply around?
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/redstone-wood-fuel-pack-of-6
those work pretty good you can mix them with some of the wood you have on hand now

I'm sort of in the same boat as you are, Mel and have been using the redstone's for the past few weeks. What a difference they make: heat and peace of mind!! Right now they are on sale: $3 for a 6 pack and if you order 7 packs or less shipping is free.....E.G if you need 70 packs, just order 7 packs 10 separate times....a pita for sure, but shipping costs otherwise are quite high

Reactions: Dinnerbellmel
If you can get niels (north Idaho energy logs) you can burn them and mix in a little of your wood. In past years I've gotten lucky scouring Craigslist and found some people who either stopped burning or switched to pellets and were selling their leftover wood.

Do you have access to a woodlot? Small, dead trees with no bark will usually be around 20%.

Once again these responses have been very helpful! I do have a Tractor Supply nearby and they have the Redstones in stock. I'll check them out. How many would I normally put in my insert at any given time?

They burn hot so start small and work your way up. I would cover the bottom with them then put some of your wood on the top.