New rAcks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ironspider

Feeling the Heat
Nov 13, 2013
Flanders, NY
Just made three racks for 2 years from now, hopefully to be filled withe my next score.

They are each 16ft and 4ft high.

And of course I have no idea how much wood that'll hold, any idea?
pa8y9y4y.jpg
sagu2y5u.jpg

Looks good! But so lonely and empty.

I know, it's sad, I have some rounds to split soon so it won't look so bad.

Just made three racks for 2 years from now, hopefully to be filled withe my next score.

They are each 16ft and 4ft high.

And of course I have no idea how much wood that'll hold, any idea?
2/3 cord each if they are for 16 inch long. That is nice, I don't have any movable racks. I just pound fence post in the ground with 2x4s laying between them to hold the wood up.

Reactions: Fred Wright
So that's only 2 cords.

I also have a single row 21x4 and a 24x3.

Can u help me with that math?

Reactions: Applesister
4x4x8= 16x8=128 cubic feet=one cord
21x4=84 cf
24x3=72cf
Cords only look big when you fill them yourself, when you get them delivered they look small.

wow, so that math means I only have racks for 2.7 cords of wood. It sure looks like a lot more. I need more racks.

using the calculator i come up with 3.62 cords. gzecc's post contradicts the maine calculator, by quite a margin. what's the scoop?

using the calculator i come up with 3.62 cords. gzecc's post contradicts the maine calculator, by quite a margin. what's the scoop?
Looks like gzecc assumed the split length to be 1'. If you are at 18" then it could be half again.

Looks good... you'll get it filled soon. :)

Last time I did some math on our stacks each came up short of a cord. 16" splits stacked 5' high, 20' length. Figured I'd have to stack over 6' high on what's there or add 5 more feet to the stack length to get a cord.

Not that it matters - we only cut for our own use anyhow. But it is good to know how much wood we need and use in cords.

For the future, it's easier just to use a calculator than enter values into the cord calculators, especiallywhen you're outside. If your wood is mostly 16in just multiply:

1.33 X length of your rack X height of your rack

The value you get is the cubic feet of your pile. A cord being 128 cubic feet

Reactions: blazincajun
I apologize on the mis-calculation. I didn't think and just wung it.

I like your cinderblock design. Can you take a closeup of the bracket area. Always looking for new ideas.
Good job.
You have some nice lumber in those racks too.
3.62 sounds good and I think you can easily squeeze more splits on the piles to get 4 cords.
Thats a years worth for most people.

I like the cinderblock idea. Im beginning to think that airspace is a key drying element.
They look top heavy but the ones I construcked feel very stable.
The timber is expensive but the cinderblocks are cheap.

For the base i'm using 2x3's, fastened together with little metal things. the most expensive pieces were 3 2x8's for the ends. All told, 12 2x3x8's, 9 cinder blocks, 3 2x8x8's, 12 L brackets, $77 at home depot.

I have another 24ft rack built similar, however it's only 3ft high and it's rock solid, it will not fall. these do concern me because they are high with only a 12" base.

So that's only 2 cords.

I also have a single row 21x4 and a 24x3.

Can u help me with that math?

Can't help with the math unless there are 3 numbers because it is cubic feet rather than square feet.

But with the 16" long logs, use 1.33 for the third number and all is well. A cord is 128 cu ft.

be careful stacking or those ends will blow out. You could string wire across the tops for a little insurance but wood gets heavy on the ends with just a couple little L brackets holding at the bottom.

I know, I know - some here frown upon them but I am a fan of T-posts and they are cheap. Pound one behind your uprights and forget about it for two years(after you fill them of course)

I don't stack with the ends bearing a lot of weight but I do like the rope idea, sounds pretty simple.

I don't stack with the ends bearing a lot of weight but I do like the rope idea, sounds pretty simple.
Rope -vs- steel wire....
Anytime I've used rope/cord, critters have chewed it through. Quite frustrating. I have several tied with fencing type wire, and no rodent problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.