New Rain Cap= Happy Results

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdonna

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2008
mn
I was shopping at Menards the other weekend and found a double wall rain and wind cap that looked exactly what I was looking for. Supervent deluxe. Looks similar to the draft master. I was hesitant because I already have mega draft. Cost 39.99.

My old cap had a small wind band around the opening and draft measurements were all over the map and would get some back puffing on occasion. (Very annoying)

My problem is that I have a 6" SS liner.

Made a short 8" long 6" diameter adapter pipe to make the two work together and some high temp stainless tape to seal things together for good measure.

So far, smoother operation, able to lower the air setttings and get longer burn times.

Good. Please keep us up to date on how this works out.

So far so good. Have had some pretty strong winds in every direction except from the east in the last week.

Like an aluminum foil tape, except thicker and stainless steel.

I have seen it before. The acrylic adhesive is only good to 250F on the ones I have seen.

I'll have to double check on the temp from the roll. A friend of mine gave it to me that works at a foundry. Just added a bit to the cap where the pipe passes through on the top of my stack as some insurance against any rain or ice. Figure it can't get above 200 degrees exposed to the outside air at the top of the stack.

Status
Not open for further replies.