New record - 2023 taxes done (but not filed)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
I beat my record from last year, I guess the lack of a job sped things up ;) A few new forms to fill out for health care but a lot simpler return this year. Been a long time since I have been in lowest tax bracket and dont think I have ever not paid capital gains taxes.

Now I need to wait five days to file them. Not sure at this point if I will buy any I bonds this year with the money I am getting back, its 5.27% this year (but 1.3% of that is fixed for the duration of the bond).

We usually don't file until late March due to owning some stocks that are outside of the US. Their calendar date for reporting is not the same as here.

Luckily most of my investments are in deferred or non taxable plans so I dont have to worry about them (for now)

Still waiting for my W2 from work, it will probably be ready next Monday. Also need a form (not sure what) from the REC payments I've gotten. Although I won't necessarily wait for that as I can certainly just add that as misc income (of about $100 ;lol).

Still waiting for my W2 from work, it will probably be ready next Monday. Also need a form (not sure what) from the REC payments I've gotten. Although I won't necessarily wait for that as I can certainly just add that as misc income (of about $100 ;lol).

Checked my work website yesterday and my W2 was there. Should be able to complete my taxes this weekend.

Definitely its great from a tax perspective to be able to get access to forms online and being able to upload data directly into a tax programs. In the past I remember having to enter several pages of investment info into a form by hand.

My dad was a lifetime member of the National Association of Investment Clubs and was a big proponent of them. There were about 20 members in his club who each contributed a set amount every month although some contributed more or less, they usually owned multiple stocks and my dad kept track of the books by hand (before PCs) and then handed everyone their year end tax statements to be entered in their taxes, that would take him several nights. I expect if they had to hire an accountant to do that work, their returns would have been a lot lower. As it was, they had some impressive returns for a group of guys that worked for a water company and had no background in stocks but they educated themselves. They got to the point where local brokers would get a hold of the monthly stock picks of the club and recommend them to their clients.

Reactions: sloeffle
I went to E file today and found out I cannot E-file. On paper I had zero income (no W-2s) so for some reason the IRS will not accept a return via E file with no W-2s, so its off to the post office to snail mail it. I was getting cash back so guess I have to wait.

I have mine done, but the software says to wait as they are still finalizing part of the rules. Most likely it has to do with the credit I'm claiming for my new combi-boiler. That update is due February 2, so I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Reactions: joop
I found out on another tax programs website that the inability to E File is triggered by the lack of any W-2s which the IRS uses to flag if its a legit return. They recomended entering a $1 W-2 but not really sure how to put one in without the accompanying W-2 employer info. For now I sent it via snail mail but definitely a bug as I expect many retired folks do not have W-2s. Note I also do not plan on taking SS for several years so maybe that is a factor.

Reactions: bogieb
I checked "where's my refund" on the IRS site. Despite being sent via snail mail, the status is the check will be deposited tomorrow in my account. Not bad assuming it goes in tomorrow, that is 4 weeks from when I dropped it in the mail to when they issued a check.

Edit, I checked my account this afternoon and the check was deposited yesterday (the 26th).

Last edited:
Reactions: bogieb and EbS-P
I have mine done, but the software says to wait as they are still finalizing part of the rules. Most likely it has to do with the credit I'm claiming for my new combi-boiler. That update is due February 2, so I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.

On the 3rd I updated the tax software and it said part of what I was using was due for an update on the 9th. Wouldn't let me go further. On 2/10 I performed the last update, which didn't change anything. On 2/20, they made a deposit.

Just got word that one of my holdings will not have a 1099 out before late March :( due to tax law changes affecting them . I'll start working on taxes this week. Not my favorite task.

Wife and I filed opening day again for the 3rd year in a row, which was Feb 19th in Canada. Both of us had our refunds in 10 days. We used to wait until the end of March to file, but that resulted in a 3-4 week turnaround for the refunds.

Ours are pretty simple though, we only qualify for 2 deductions and all our investments are in tax-sheltered or tax-deferred accounts so there's nothing to report there.

Last edited: