New scan 61,, bio bricks ok??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cruiser

Hearth Supporter
Jan 3, 2010
Jim Thorpe Pa
I've just got my scan 61 put in and fired up a few days ago.. Getting it in so late in the season and not securing a good source for seasoned firewood has me looking hard... Got two loads of junk from the locals who still had "seasoned" wood.. I haven't burnt in years.. grew up with a big "fisher all nighter" the one that would take the long logs.. We cut, split and did it all ourselves.. I have a good source for wood at $100 a cord but its not seasoned,, just split standing dead.. I was thinking about using some bio-blocks to get thru the next few weeks till I can source some good firewood.. During the year I get wood for free(I work with golf courses) and I will now be taking all I can,, but since I didnt have a stove,, and before Nov didnt even know that We were buying one this year.. didnt plan on it.. I searched the scan site but didnt find much.. anybody ever use these in a scan?
Thanks,,
Steve

cruiser said:
I've just got my scan 61 put in and fired up a few days ago.. Getting it in so late in the season and not securing a good source for seasoned firewood has me looking hard... Got two loads of junk from the locals who still had "seasoned" wood.. I haven't burnt in years.. grew up with a big "fisher all nighter" the one that would take the long logs.. We cut, split and did it all ourselves.. I have a good source for wood at $100 a cord but its not seasoned,, just split standing dead.. I was thinking about using some bio-blocks to get thru the next few weeks till I can source some good firewood.. During the year I get wood for free(I work with golf courses) and I will now be taking all I can,, but since I didnt have a stove,, and before Nov didnt even know that We were buying one this year.. didnt plan on it.. I searched the scan site but didnt find much.. anybody ever use these in a scan?
Thanks,,
Steve

If I use bio-bricks in the liberty it will void any type of warranty from the manufacturer, I would check first.

zap

I'll call the dealer monday,, I tried the website for the manufacturer but came up with nothing,, or even a "contact us" part.. I think it was lost in the translation...

Agreed checking with Scan would be a good idea, but I would think that it would be fine to burn bio-bricks in the stove. They are not on the prohibited items list and in Europe, compressed fuel is common in many urban areas. Start off with smaller fires until you get used to the stove and how it burns with the bricks. Here is a link to burning them in an F400:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/BioBricks/

Just to update,, I asked the dealer,, he said no to bio bricks,, but then tried to sell me the version of bricks that he sold. He said bio bricks use glue etc to hold together which I just said ok,, I'll let him know if I want to buy his at some unreal $$..

BioBricks do not use any glue. The heat/pressure of forming the bricks causes the wood itself to bind (I believe it is the lignin, but don't recall for sure). I'd recommend that you ask the dealer to take a look at the BioBrick website (http://www.biopellet.net/) and THEN take a position as to whether or not they'd void the warranty.

If you do use them, keep in mind that they burn very hot. As BeGreen said, start with smaller fires until you get familiar with how they burn in your stove. In two seasons of using them (nearly six tons used so far) I have never loaded more than ten at a time (usually six or eight). A full firebox could have frightening results.

I knew they didnt use glue,, but thought it was funny and sad that the dealer was only going with what they sold.. typical. If I had a local supplier I think I'd buy them to try. I'm still thinking about getting some to try in small amounts. I did get on a list for the pallet guy.. The end cuts,, 3"x6"x12-16" oak 10 ton truck load delivered $150.. took two weeks to stack.. will be great for next year.. 1/2 is dry and 1/2 is just too green for this year. I split the big pieces and stack. Burns nice and hot..

cruiser said:
I knew they didnt use glue,, but thought it was funny and sad that the dealer was only going with what they sold.. typical. If I had a local supplier I think I'd buy them to try. I'm still thinking about getting some to try in small amounts. I did get on a list for the pallet guy.. The end cuts,, 3"x6"x12-16" oak 10 ton truck load delivered $150.. took two weeks to stack.. will be great for next year.. 1/2 is dry and 1/2 is just too green for this year. I split the big pieces and stack. Burns nice and hot..

The only thing that tells me is "shop somewhere else". And it does so very loudly and clearly. Boy, with some firewood guys selling you green 'seasoned' wood and some dealers just outright lying to their customers, it's no wonder that the oil, gas, and propane industries do so well.

Status
Not open for further replies.