New snow blower - Ariens 22"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK gentleman, the OP just wanted to show off his new machine, which will work great for him, just like my Ariens works for me. Mine so far has handled everything I've thrown at it. If you have allegiance to another brand, well that wasn't the point of this thread.

EJL923 said:
OK gentleman, the OP just wanted to show off his new machine, which will work great for him, just like my Ariens works for me. Mine so far has handled everything I've thrown at it. If you have allegiance to another brand, well that wasn't the point of this thread.

Gee, I thought were just discussing snow blowers??

CTwoodburner said:
TMonter said:
CTwoodburner said:
MasterMech said:
Old Ariens blowers are indeed worth $$. Quality Sells. If you have any of the other attachments for it (tiller, blower, etc) it's a goldmine.

I guess that was part of my point. Just because the old machines were built like tanks does not mean the new ones are just as good. Having a friend in the power equipment business, i have seen most of the Toro's in action next to the Husq units as well as others. I noticed that the box stores are all selling the Ariens untis, which is usually a red flag for me.

Chute design - Toro does indeed have the best chute design and controls, which is a BIG selling point for me. I have 2 driveways and move that chute a million times to get the snow where I want it. I also plan on having my future snow blower for quite some time and the same can be said about the older Toro units, they are great. Heck, even the small old craftsman unit I have is good.

Wet snow - is also a big issue. Some units have the square discharge and all they do is make bricks of ice - great for making an igloo but not so much for snow clearing.

Engine - As far as engines and the Subaru engine you reference, I have not had one issue with various engines on my lawn tractors, snow blowers, log splitter and others so engine brand is not always the biggest factor for me. I have found that as long as you maintain them well, they should last and treat you well.

But when you look at the construction, welding quality the Ariens was better than others in this size range. As I said Toro had nothing to offer in this size or price range. Given my past experience with MTD I refuse to buy another one of their products thus in this size range I was left with the Ariens as the best available option. Actually I'm kind of surprised that Toro doesn't have any two-stage units in the 20-24" range.

As for the best chute design, that's debatable from the reviews and side-by-side comparisons I've read.

I don't care what those comparisons say. Go look at the chutes on all machines and the controls and then play with the toro. There is no comparison. The impeller housing into the non-stick surface on the chute base and the quick stick chute controls all make it the best in that area. No contest...but I am open minded on all the other stuff...

Well I spoke with the local shop here that I bought mine from that sells both last night:

http://www.cdatractor.com/

I asked him some details about the reliability of each machine they sell (Ariens, Toro, Cub Cadet, Husqvarna), throw distance, plugging ect. I also talked to the guy in the engine/repair shop in back what his opinion was.

Basically what both guys said was that both have been very reliable machines with very few issues. The repair guy doesn't like the non-shear pin design of the Toro as he's seen badly bent augers from the lack of shear pin. He's never had a broken plastic housing in the shop from the Toros but has from the Huskies they sell.

Both the repair guy and the sales guy say the Ariens has the best throw distance hands down. This is because the Ariens uses a 14" diameter impeller in models over 24" and 12" in the 22 and 24 inch models.

The chute controls both guys liked the ease of the stick on the Toro, but the repair guy had reservations of the longevity of the design given it's only been out a few years. He has had a few machines in to repair the stick, mostly from people not being careful when storing it.

As for snow sticking, from what both guys told me and they have tried both and neither has big sticking issues in all but the wettest snow and even then they were very similar.. The sales guy did point out it was far less risky to use a heat gun on a metal chute to defrost the Ariens rather than the Toro.

Just FYI the repair guy said the only problem they've had with the LCT engines is the first year the fuel lines they used were not designed for Ethanol and had rot problems.

Basically both guys said of all the machines they sell the Ariens and Toro are the best two brands hands down.

I'm not sure but I'm thinkin that anymore most small snowblowers are all made by MTD. Least the new ones anyhow. I got one of them small blowers for the little stuff but my workhorse is thisun right here.

Butcher,
That is an impressive machine, but it is on the wrong end of the tractor! :)

Flatbedford said:
Butcher,
That is an impressive machine, but it is on the wrong end of the tractor! :)
Thats just kinda the way they all are out here in the midwest. Wish I didnt have the need for one but, well, gotta do whatcha gotta do I guess.

I guess there aren't many tractors with a 3 point and PTO out front. Do you get a sore neck from looking behind you?

Flatbedford said:
I guess there aren't many tractors with a 3 point and PTO out front. Do you get a sore neck from looking behind you?
No sore neck here unless I gotta pick up an aluminum scoop shovel and move it by hand. :)

Well after two days of using the new blower I can say it's a BIG improvement over the old beast. The new one throws snow at least twice as far if not more and has much better balance. The biggest thing I notice is how much more ergonomic the handling is on the new one. My hands used to get tired with the old Ariens and I don't seem to have that problem with the new one.

The engine doesn't bog even when digging into packed drifts which is very nice. It does a much better job on plowed berms that have been left by the neighbors and by the country.

So far I'm very pleased with my purchase.

Flatbedford said:

Front mounts are usually tractor specific and much more $$ than a 3 pt.

Dream Machine

129555_59in_slow_blower_642x462.jpg

MasterMech said:
Flatbedford said:

Dream Machine

Deere makes a fantastic tractor but for the money I'd go with the Kubota.

MasterMech said:
Flatbedford said:

Dream Machine

Is the driver reading a book?

I got a Cub Cadet 1320 Hydro riding mower that came with a Blower I have yet to attatch. Been using an old 22" 5hp Craftsman Blower that recently...well....blows. Next one I'm getting (in 2 more weeks...budget), is the 30" 11.5 hp Ariens....the Ariens we use at our schools are 9hp versions that have yet to be defeated....I figure 11.5 hp will be much better....I hope....I can't complain after buying this, the Wife will string me up by the shorties

gave my blower its first official test drive this morning

got about 4-5 inches of very heavy nasty stuff.

316396_598640632630_41900138_32354678_649981805_n.jpg

Took no time at all to clear the driveway.

Status
Not open for further replies.