New Ariens 22 ton splitter - throttle question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shimanok2

Oct 19, 2012
New Hampshire
Happy New Year everyone.This past weekend I received the subject splitter as an early birthday present from my wife, family and friends. A great present indeed! After checking the oil/fluids and putting some gas in it fired right up. I let it run for a few minutes to warm up and threw a small log on just to see it in action. After some more inspection and reading I noticed that the engine (Subaru EA-175V) does not have a throttle adjustment. It simply runs WOT the entire time. This may not be a problem in warmer weather but the past few years I've been splitting well into December where the temperatures are below freezing (NH). I guess having an adjustable throttle would be a convenience feature too, not having to run the engine at full speed if the wood doesn't require it. Noise reduction would also be an added benefit.

Does anyone on here have any experience with this splitter or even just the engine for that matter? It would seem to me that starting up @ WOT on a sub freezing day wouldn't be good for the engine.

In reading through the engine manual it does show the option of an adjustable throttle being available, likely for other power equipment. I'm sure I could order the parts and replacing the existing choke/throttle assembly, but would this be a bad idea?

Thanks in advance for your input.

I have had the 22 ton Ariens for 3 years now and have had 0 issues with the engine to date. Even last winter with the temp. in the single digits it would start but with a few more pulls than the usual 2-3. As far as running wo all the time I think it runs about 1/2 throttle until more power is called for during splitting. I could be wrong but it seems that way to me. I have put well lever 20 cords thru it with not one problem. Hope you enjoy your new toy ( tool ) and it treats you well.

I have had the 22 ton Ariens for 3 years now and have had 0 issues with the engine to date. Even last winter with the temp. in the single digits it would start but with a few more pulls than the usual 2-3. As far as running wo all the time I think it runs about 1/2 throttle until more power is called for during splitting. I could be wrong but it seems that way to me. I have put well lever 20 cords thru it with not one problem. Hope you enjoy your new toy ( tool ) and it treats you well.

Interesting, this is something I never read in the manual. Doesn't mean it's not there though! Does the engine noise bother you while splitting?

That's odd. I never heard of a wood splitter running WOT like a power washer.

I used WOT but i should have just said "fixed throttle", one that's not necessarily wide open. Either way what Gboutdoors mentioned regarding the varying throttle intrigues me. I'll have to check that out when I've got some free time and the weather permits.

Thanks for the input!

I agree that it would be nice for you to be able to adjust it. That being said, I almost never adjust mine. It's pretty much always right about half throttle. But dangit, if I want to adjust it, I want to be able to do it. 'Merica! :)

I agree that it would be nice for you to be able to adjust it. That being said, I almost never adjust mine. It's pretty much always right about half throttle. But dangit, if I want to adjust it, I want to be able to do it. 'Merica! :)

Exactly! I was thinking about looking into what parts would be required to have a "normal" throttle, but with the 3 year warranty and everyone's glowing reviews I'm now thinking of holding off. If it was that big of an issue it would have manifested itself by now and there would be posting all over the internet. Not the case though.

Happy splitting!

Interesting, this is something I never read in the manual. Doesn't mean it's not there though! Does the engine noise bother you while splitting?

I have worked with many different brands of splitters some are quieter some loader but I always use ear protection. The only (quiet) unit I have run was a 5ton electric.

I've only run 2 log splitters before. The first was when I was in college and I can't remember anything about it. The second was a supersplit that was borrowed only a few months ago. I know it had a Subaru engine with an adjustable throttle, likely a different model or engine series though. It was nice because a lot of the smaller rounds I was able to split at a very low throttle setting making it very quiet.

Our troy bilt 27ton with the gc honda is the same way. So what we usually do is hold the governor over for a little bit to idle it down to warm up a little

Our troy bilt 27ton with the gc honda is the same way. So what we usually do is hold the governor over for a little bit to idle it down to warm up a little

I've got a GC160 on my push mower and it's by far the quietest engine I've been around. Just finished up it's third season without any issues. My garden tractor was out of commission this summer too so it (the pushmower) was used every weekend for between 2-3 hours.

I probably wouldn't even have to care as much about the noise if I bought the troy-bilt. How do you like yours by the way?

It is great. Starts easy. Easy on fuel. It is quieter than most engines. I have no complaints so far. I think we bought it in 08. Been good to us

For me not having a throttle adjustment would be a problem. I run around half throttle, Plenty of power and speed. At full throttle it's screaming. No need to waist all the fuel and all the wear and tear. I would look into a fix for this design issue.

It is great. Starts easy. Easy on fuel. It is quieter than most engines. I have no complaints so far. I think we bought it in 08. Been good to us

That's good to hear. I'm hoping for the same.

For me not having a throttle adjustment would be a problem. I run around half throttle, Plenty of power and speed. At full throttle it's screaming. No need to waist all the fuel and all the wear and tear. I would look into a fix for this design issue.

I don't think mine mine does run full throttle all the time, possibly only when needed. I'd may try to borrow a hand held tach to check the RPMs. I'm sure I could find that models rated RPM somewhere for comparison. I could look into getting the parts to add a throttle, but I'm sure that would void any warranty work. Maybe I'll wait until year 4 to tackle that.

So am I understanding correctly that a lot of people don't run their splitter full throttle when splitting? I've always run mine on full throttle; I'm pretty sure that it said to in the manual, but not 100% certain, I'll have to look that up. Sure would be a bit easier on the ears and the gas if I could run the Ariens 27t at half throttle...... Cheers

I believe so. I guess the only one's who aren't running 1/2 throttle just aren't able to, i.e., me and duramaxman05.

I don't think I've ever had mine at full throttle. It's always been right about half, maybe just a touch higher.

Well I guess I'm just going to have to run my splitter at half throttle this weekend and see now she handles the splitting.....

Status
Not open for further replies.