New stack liner - 3 contractors, 3 bids, 3 TOTALLY different proposals

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coHoser

Sep 8, 2008
Black Forest, CO
Well, I bought a new insert and have bids from 3 different contractors for installation, high altitude and it can get cold here (30-40 below):

History - chimney fire that damaged and popped a clay tile or two in the chimney, making it "unsafe to use as is" from my chimney sweep (who I trust).

Proposals:

1) reline with a SS stack, fully insulating the stack from top to bottom

2) reline with a SS stack, insulating the top 3 or 4 feet

3) put the stove in without a new liner, after I expressed concern, a grudging "OK, I've only put in 2 or 3 over 20 years - I'll install with no insulation at all"

The prices surprisingly are all about the same, or close enough that I consider it a wash... I'm going with #1... I would think that keeping the stack and gasses at as high a temp as possible, for as long as possible, is a really good idea.

I'd choose door #1.
If the tiles are broken, it MUST be fully insulated to conform to current code. Not to mention make it safe in case of chimney fire.
Option 2 is not a full insulated job, no good.
Option 3, thats just scary. If costs are all close to the same, you chose the right one. Only better would be DIY.

#1, hands down...full height, fully insulated, weather sealed, & capped. And a block-off plate at the damper throat. Rick

Option 1 is what appears to be the best choice. That installer seems to recognize the situation and has provided you with an appropriate solution. The others have not.

Status
Not open for further replies.