New Stihl?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nightowl

Sep 25, 2014
NW> Ohio
I have a 029 that I bought new in 1994 with a 20" bar that I'm still using. Been thinking about getting a new one and that should last me the rest of my wood cutting days. I've always wanted something with a little more power than the 029. I looked at the MS291, 311 and 391 today. The dealer said the 291 will probably have a little more than the old 029. I was leaning more towards the 311, more power and bigger chain, 3/8" instead of .325. He also had a 391 for $90 more than the 311 but not sure if I need that . I have mostly been cutting dead ash the last few years and there is lots more still standing in the woods behind me. Any recommendations on which way to go?

I’m on my way home from picking up a 362. Looked at the new 400 but not having the full wrap was a no go. Said it takes a $200 kit to make one work. Definitely puts it out of the pro model if I’m asked. I was talked into an ultra light bar and man, I got to say, that was a huge difference. Never would have guessed a 20” bar would make a difference but it was. Whatever you end up with, have them slap an ultra light bar on and see. I think it was like $50 more. I run the short bar only for tree work, I’m sure a longer bar would be better suited for firewood. Also, I sold the comparable size husky cus I never really liked it. Lots of power but everything else drove me nuts

talked into an ultra light bar and man, I got to say, that was a huge difference.
I'll reiterate recommendation for the ES Light bar. It nicely balances out the saw (MS 462).

I'll reiterate recommendation for the ES Light bar. It nicely balances out the saw (MS 462).
Quick question. Can you clamp the ES light bar in a big vise for sharpening in the same way you would a standard bar? Any other considerations with one?

I’m not sure about the vise but it wouldn’t stop me just keep it centered. This is the first one I’ve ran in many years probably 30? It was when they first came on the market. Not sure how much they have changed other than they never used to paint the inserts

I use a stihl 2 in1 file, on the saw, after chucking them up by the bar and squeezing tight in a big vise. Wondered if there would be an issue, or if it's rigid and solid like a regular bar.

Not sure if they have changed but used to be the middle was an aluminum insert. I’d imagine they still are so just don’t get crazy with clamping force and should be fine if you keep it centered and away from where it’s inserted

Can you clamp the ES light bar in a big vise for sharpening in the same way you would a standard bar?
I might be concerned about this too, being a hollowed bar.
My brother, the machinist, bought me a set of soft vise jaws. Held in place with magnets, so quickly put and replace and remove as needed.
They work well for sharpening chain saw.
soft vise jaws

Reactions: EbS-P
I have to plead absolute ignorance on this, so am looking for help.

Should I be careful when I chuck up these larger bars and saws in a vice to avoid over pinching them when I use the hand file?

My procedure for the last few years is that I've mounted a 75lb vise on a hydraulic lift table that I can position well to sharpen with my Stihl 2 in 1 file. I often will flip the saw/bar over and have the saw positioned upside down in the vice on the table to sharpen the other side of the chain evenly.

The clamping force I put on the bar has to be quite high, because the bar is oily, the vise jaws are not new, and even though I try to center the bar in the middle, I'm a 6'3 215lb guy who tightens that vice enough to keep the bar level, which is probably quite a few PSI.

Reactions: Nealm66
Well that got off topic fast. My vote for staying with something close to your 029 power wise would be a 261. If I was buying a new Stihl today for firewood and it was my only saw I think I would try the 400. I haven't ran one but picked them up a few times, feel good.

I have to plead absolute ignorance on this, so am looking for help.

Should I be careful when I chuck up these larger bars and saws in a vice to avoid over pinching them when I use the hand file?

My procedure for the last few years is that I've mounted a 75lb vise on a hydraulic lift table that I can position well to sharpen with my Stihl 2 in 1 file. I often will flip the saw/bar over and have the saw positioned upside down in the vice on the table to sharpen the other side of the chain evenly.

The clamping force I put on the bar has to be quite high, because the bar is oily, the vise jaws are not new, and even though I try to center the bar in the middle, I'm a 6'3 215lb guy who tightens that vice enough to keep the bar level, which is probably quite a few PSI.
They’re not talking about regular bars. They’re wondering about what’s referred to as an ultra light bar. These are hardened aluminum in the center ( unless they have changed) .

The 261’s are a good saw and that’s probably where I would steer you as well in the 20”bar area. The 400 is probably about the same weight but more power but no full wrap and more money.

I have the 291, it’s a great little saw; I stuck with a shorter bar based on the species I have here. I cut through mahogany, so it’s not lacking on power. Either of the models you mentioned I’m guessing you’d be pretty happy with.

I have a 029 that I bought new in 1994 with a 20" bar that I'm still using. Been thinking about getting a new one and that should last me the rest of my wood cutting days. I've always wanted something with a little more power than the 029. I looked at the MS291, 311 and 391 today. The dealer said the 291 will probably have a little more than the old 029. I was leaning more towards the 311, more power and bigger chain, 3/8" instead of .325. He also had a 391 for $90 more than the 311 but not sure if I need that . I have mostly been cutting dead ash the last few years and there is lots more still standing in the woods behind me. Any recommendations on which way to go?
I've been cutting mostly dead ash with a 251 but it's really pushing the limit of that saw. I recently got an 029 super and not sure how to set it up. Have you considered 362 pro level? That would be the one I get if I had the money.