New Stove Being Installed Question about Outside Air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone would like to say that this is a great site. I have never had a wood stove before but now that I have spent the last few weeks reading I feel that I can "TALK" a good fire. anyway today I am having my new Regency 1200 stove insert installed It is being installed into a zero clearance fireplace. I was limited with the size due to the size of the opening according to the company installing. I asked about only using outside air and was told that there was no provision for a sealed outside air intake and that the stove would introduce its air from around the firebox and the vents from the outside on the zero clearance fireplace. I also asked about sealing around the faceplate to no allow any outside air into my house like drafts and was told there was no provision for that as well. Can someone help clairify some of my concerns. I seen a guy down the street has a wood stove (not an insert) and he seems to have outside intake.
Thanks
and once again great site that you the members have created.

Blkbeard said:
Hello everyone would like to say that this is a great site. I have never had a wood stove before but now that I have spent the last few weeks reading I feel that I can "TALK" a good fire. anyway today I am having my new Regency 1200 stove insert installed It is being installed into a zero clearance fireplace. I was limited with the size due to the size of the opening according to the company installing. I asked about only using outside air and was told that there was no provision for a sealed outside air intake and that the stove would introduce its air from around the firebox and the vents from the outside on the zero clearance fireplace. I also asked about sealing around the faceplate to no allow any outside air into my house like drafts and was told there was no provision for that as well. Can someone help clairify some of my concerns. I seen a guy down the street has a wood stove (not an insert) and he seems to have outside intake.
Thanks

It appears they are right on there being no outside air kit provision for the I1200 but if they plan to install that insert per Regency's instructions in the manual then they need to take a look at page seven.

"Means must be provided to prevent room
air passage to the chimney cavity of the
fireplace. This may be accomplished by
sealing the damper area around the chimney
liner, or sealing the fireplace front."

Thanks I will let them know. I am reading the manual now. also with this being such a small stove will I be able to get an overnight burn to be able to keep the stove running?

BrotherBart said:
Blkbeard said:
Thanks

It appears they are right on there being no outside air kit provision for the I1200 but if they plan to install that insert per Regency's instructions in the manual then they need to take a look at page seven.

"Means must be provided to prevent room
air passage to the chimney cavity of the
fireplace. This may be accomplished by
sealing the damper area around the chimney
liner, or sealing the fireplace front."

It is also worth mentioning that of the two methods, sealing around the damper area (the blockoff plate approach) is more of a PITA to do, but is technically superior - at least in some code jurisdictions the AHJ requires that it be done that way... The blockoff plate (especially if some kaowool is placed above it, regular fiberglass is NOT approved for this application and should not be used) prevents heat from escaping from the firebox up the chimney - the more heat you keep in the firebox the more heat you get into the room. Also the blockoff plate is often more effective at keeping the room air out of the chimney - it is difficult to effectively seal the fireplace front, especially if the facing is irregular material like masonry or stones.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.