New stove door gasket leak.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cburke

Burning Hunk
Feb 24, 2014
Honeybrook Pennsylvania
Evening everyone!
Quick question, my timberwolf 2200 is brand new this season, and have been extremely pleased with it so far, it's been going 24/7 since last weekend haven't turned the oil heat on yet this year and house hasn't dipped below 70. But this weekend I notice the door gasket started to Fray where the two tapped ends of the gasket met. Now I figured the tape burned off no big deal, then I noticed my glass was spotless except for a small corner that was sooted up good right where the gasket was fraying. Now I just reloaded a few hours ago and noticed that there was obviously air coming in from this spot in the gasket, as there was a large flame right in the sooty area. Sorry this is lkbg winded, but my question is do I buy a gasket kit and cut a sliver out and bunch it in there or what are my other options? It's not affecting burn times yet, but being a mechanic I know that the longer you put problems off the worse they get. So I just would like to know your opinions! That's so much guys!
Chris

Been there done that... 2 options, one, fluff up the gasket with a small wire brush to get it expanded and sealing and/or bend the latch mechanism slightly to cause a tighter door closing. You cannot replace a section of the gasket, it's woven rope.It's all (new gasket) or fix.

Well, I have had similar problems and for a few seasons got away with actually using hi-temp stove & gasket cement and actually patching a piece of gasket overtop the old one-sounds crazy but it worked! And once that didn't work anymore, I actually did just cut a section out and replaced it without having to replace the whole gasket which is a pain; plus the section that had the "gap" in the gasket is because the door probably was warped from new-my stove has all kinds of adjustments on it that allow you to adjust the door and the latch, but I nearly drove myself crazy trying to get it lined up, and finally realized that I was just going to have the upper left corner part not quite as "airtight" as the rest of the door with the dollar bill "test". Just relaying what worked for me, it sounds like you might be able to just cement a piece in there to patch things up. Give it a try, and good luck!

do I buy a gasket kit and cut a sliver out
Some hearth shops have spools of different diameter gasket material that you can buy by the foot for cheap.
Obviously the ideal gasket is one piece cut to exact length, but two pieces can be made to work, especially with a little cement.

Great input guys thanks! I'm going to try to patch some new gasket in ill let you know how this works out.
Thanks again!

You should easily get away with just patching it since it's a new stove which means it's a new gasket that just had a "gap" in it. I think it'll work fine!

Just wondering how did your little "experiment" with patching your gasket go?

Not pretty but it's serving it's purpose

New stove door gasket leak.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Not pretty but it's serving it's purpose

View attachment 145995

You did good! You can see how new the rest of the gasket is, so it would've been a waste and a pain to replace it just for that little section-glad it worked !

I noticed this morning that the section where I "joined" the new gasket years ago is doing the same thing, getting a little "thin", so I might have to patch him like you did soon. It still seals, and is at the top left side of the door so it's not a big deal, but I'll have to remember to keep an eye on him. Like I said I believe my door was warped from the factory years ago, so the upper left side NEVER will seal as tight as the rest of the door, and I tried to adjust the door and the latch but that is a recipe to drive yourself nuts-trust me !

Good job !

You did good! You can see how new the rest of the gasket is, so it would've been a waste and a pain to replace it just for that little section-glad it worked !

I noticed this morning that the section where I "joined" the new gasket years ago is doing the same thing, getting a little "thin", so I might have to patch him like you did soon. It still seals, and is at the top left side of the door so it's not a big deal, but I'll have to remember to keep an eye on him. Like I said I believe my door was warped from the factory years ago, so the upper left side NEVER will seal as tight as the rest of the door, and I tried to adjust the door and the latch but that is a recipe to drive yourself nuts-trust me !

Good job !
Thank you! Yea I'm glad it worked I'm such a perfectionist that I've already driven myself nuts over this , and finally accepted the fact that this is about as good as I'll get it. I'm sure yours will turn out fine! Good luck.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Status
Not open for further replies.