New Stove for Future Art Studio?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

breezyskink

Jan 2, 2021
North Dakota, USA
Hello,
This will be my first wood stove; I'm looking for a recommendation for a stove to heat a detached garage that I'm converting to a print shop. 12' by 30' with a 9' ceiling to 12' peak.
It is currently uninsulated but I plan to insulate and add drywall eventually.
My goal is to get something that can keep it around 50 degrees before I insulate and 65ish after. I live in ND so think Canadian weather conditions.

I don't need anything fancy, looks don't matter either. A lot will go in the shop so budget isn't huge. What do you guys think is the best bang-for-your buck stove for this?

Thanks in advance,
Breezy

If keeping the studio temp at a relatively constant temp is important for the inks then a wood stove in a small space like this may not be the best option. A pellet stove or something thermostatically regulated would be better.

Reactions: Soloridr
A print studio? Screenprint, Relief, Intaglio or Lithography?

Bump
A bit of everything, but i will start with litho. I dont do much screen printing. Going to use a section for coating and exposing Cyanotypes so that could be used for making screens eventually.

Just starting to piece together plans :)

If keeping the studio temp at a relatively constant temp is important for the inks then a wood stove in a small space like this may not be the best option. A pellet stove or something thermostatically regulated would be better.
I will keep all inks and chemicals inside the house when Im not out there. I have access to plenty of free firewood so i figured a wood stove would be more cost effective.