New stove install - Do I need extra support under the floor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barrettdp

Dec 20, 2008
NE Georgia
Hello and thanks in advance!

Getting ready to install a new VC Defiant and figured I would need extra support in the basement directly under the stove and hearth. After taking some measurements now I am wondering if it is really necessary. VC lists the defiant at 480 lbs. I am intending on a minimally weighted hearth made of metal studs, wonderboard, and whatever thin stone/tile the wife picks out.

From the pictures you can see the stove would fall on center around 3 feet from a supporting wall. The joists are 2x10 on 16" center, which I assume is standard. I am also very fortunate because the stove would be very close (18") to a triple joist. There is another triple joist a few feet to the other side as well.

My thought are I should be fine but wanted to ask here first.

Thanks again

Attachments

• base wall.jpg
    base wall.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 286
  • base wall 3.jpg
    base wall 3.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 259
  • base wall 2.jpg
    base wall 2.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 247
I personally would'nt give it a second thought. Plenty of support there.

No added support is needed.

Nope. If its in the middle of an iffy span to begin with, then maybe but not usually. Save the xtra wood for the inside of the stove.

Typical residential floor loading is rated for a 40# live load. The only concerns I I would have is the joist span and what your floor covering is. All floors deflect when loaded with weight. If the floor has tile on it and the joist are spanning 15' then I would worry, not that it would fall but that it would crack your grout. That's probably the only concern here is the deflection from the weight. If it carpet or wood floors then you will be fine.

If you thought there would be some flex you could put in some blocking between the joists but it sounds like you will have a raised hearth and that flex would not telegraph up to the stone/tile.

I sell/deliver/install safes as part of my business. I can tell you that the stoves do not wiegh as much as many safes I install. You have a studded wall under the location, within 3 feet, which will add greatly to the structural rigidity of the floor. I would not hestate to place upwards of 1000 lbs in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.