New Stove Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stoaf88

Oct 19, 2009
RI
Hi everyone.

I just got a newer Breckwell that is replacing my old Avalon stove. I already have the vent pipe through my wall from the previous stove. It goes horizontally through the wall and then upright 3 feet outside the house.

Here is the problem. The hole in the wall is lower than the exhaust blower in my new stove. I was thinking of just using some flex pellet pipe to make up the difference. Here is the problem though. The shortest one I can find is 60 inches. I only need it to be around 12 inches or less. I did find some type b gas vent that is 3 inches by 12 inches and flexible. It is made from aluminum and rated for something like 330 degrees continuous heat. Would this be safe to use?

Does anyone know where to get a 1 foot section of pellet flex vent?

Any other ideas? I only need to make up about 3 inches in height so I don't think an elbow would be an option.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

I wouldn't make your Horizontal vent below "bubble".....

If its a Direct vent, it should have at least a 1/4" rise per foot. Going down is only asking for trouble. In the event of a Power outage, flue gas can not escape. It can and will make its way into your home. Even without a power outage, it will put strain on the combustion blower.

I would cut another hole at the level needed...

Someone may disagree with me.. But I would never plum my exhaust like a drain "trap". That and flex liner is only acceptable inside a chimney. Double wall must be used in any other application.

Hi everyone.

I just got a newer Breckwell that is replacing my old Avalon stove. I already have the vent pipe through my wall from the previous stove. It goes horizontally through the wall and then upright 3 feet outside the house.

Here is the problem. The hole in the wall is lower than the exhaust blower in my new stove. I was thinking of just using some flex pellet pipe to make up the difference. Here is the problem though. The shortest one I can find is 60 inches. I only need it to be around 12 inches or less. I did find some type b gas vent that is 3 inches by 12 inches and flexible. It is made from aluminum and rated for something like 330 degrees continuous heat. Would this be safe to use?

Does anyone know where to get a 1 foot section of pellet flex vent?

Any other ideas? I only need to make up about 3 inches in height so I don't think an elbow would be an option.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

That vent can not be type b for two reasons, one it would be single wall and you would have to pay close attention to clearances (they need to be more) and last but most important the heat rating is way, way too low as an added feature it is against code and voids all of the stoves safety listings. Do not do it.

No dips at all in the venting it needs to be up bubble.

We do hear you on the pain involved in moving your thimble, you have our sympathy on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.