New Stove, New Stove Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rpkilgor

Sep 18, 2014
Webster NY
New to this forum and to modern wood burning equipment. For 5 years I have used an old pre-EPA blaze king to heat my 800sf, one room house.

Now I am planning on putting in a used DutchWest 2461.

The install manual for the 2461 call for a 6" round chimney, at least 16' high. My current chimney is 8" round, probably ten feet high (from top of the stove to top of the chimney). I know it would be best to follow the install literature to the letter, but I do have extra 8" class a chimney pipe lying around, same manufacturer as what's already installed. So I am thinking I will extend the chimney to 16' and leave it 8", and see how it goes. What do you think? Any chance it will work?

If I do keep the 8" insulated section, where should increase from 6" to 8", at the stove or at the ceiling?

Increase at the ceiling it might work it is hard to say 6" would definitely be better but it is worth a try it is already in just hook it up and see how it works. The worst that could happen is sluggish draft and in that case you will have to change it out.

Doesn't sound like a recipe for success. You are pushing it by having a larger and significantly shorter chimney than spec. If you have an extra 4 ft to add to the chimney might as well add it now.

yeah definatly add to the height if you already have it

Status
Not open for further replies.