New stove on its way and questions re: US stoves@ tractor supply

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stoichiometry

Oct 31, 2010
Near the ADKs, NY
Hello!

Based on the recommendations by eatenbylimestone and begreen, I have ordered an englander stove 50nc13 for my cabin. [Thanks for the help!] It should be here monday! I can't wait!! The thing will weigh almost 400 pounds ... so I'm going to eat spinach all weekend!

In the meantime, I was pricing out stainless pipe for the cabin at various places and while I was in tractor supply I noticed they had stoves similar in size, design, etc to the englander. These were a line of stoves produced by "US stoves". I was wondering if these stoves just *happen* to look similar or if they are made by the same company? Also, are US stoves good quality? I could have saved a few dollars by going w/ US stove?!?

Also, what do you guys recommend for a stove base? I am thinking of buying some stone/slate tile and making a small area to rest the stove on. Or do you recommend the thin commercially sold 'stove boards'?

Thanks for any help.
Kindly,
M

I know that England's Stove Works makes Englander, Timber Ridge, and Summer's Heat. As far as I know the two companies are not affiliated.

As for your hearth pad, some stoves require only "ember protection" but others require something with a much higher R value. Read the floor protection section of your manual carefully, as you may need something more than the simple stove board. That's not to say you can't use a prefab unit, but you'll need to check with the manufacturer to confirm its R value and the fact that it is UL listed.

I have a old stove in my kitchin. there is slate roofing on the walls behind the stove. my insurace said slate is not acceptable becouse it holds heat and can get to hot. It's been there for twenty years with no problem so
I changed insurance instead of the slate. Just a heads up on the slate.

There's a second stove now on a 40 yr. old slate base.
A couple of those slate tiles make good pads to put on the stove.

You can find your new stove manual online, before they deliver the stove.

stoichiometry said:
Hello!

Based on the recommendations by eatenbylimestone and begreen, I have ordered an englander stove 50nc13 for my cabin. [Thanks for the help!] It should be here monday! I can't wait!! The thing will weigh almost 400 pounds ... so I'm going to eat spinach all weekend!

In the meantime, I was pricing out stainless pipe for the cabin at various places and while I was in tractor supply I noticed they had stoves similar in size, design, etc to the englander. These were a line of stoves produced by "US stoves". I was wondering if these stoves just *happen* to look similar or if they are made by the same company? Also, are US stoves good quality? I could have saved a few dollars by going w/ US stove?!?

Also, what do you guys recommend for a stove base? I am thinking of buying some stone/slate tile and making a small area to rest the stove on. Or do you recommend the thin commercially sold 'stove boards'?

Thanks for any help.
Kindly,
M

Random thoughts . . .

Definitely post pics of your new stove . . . we like pics.

I do not believe US Stoves and Englanders are the same company . . . a lot of steel stoves have the same basic look in my own opinion. As far as quality . . . I can't really recall many good or bad reviews of this stove line.

Stove base . . . I built my hearth out of slate tile . . . the most important thing is to find out what Englander requires for hearth protection for your stove. Some stoves only require ember protection -- others require a specific R-value (insulation value) to stay safe. Personally, regardless of any R value requirement I would build your own hearth . . . it's a relatively easy DIYer project, I can almost guarantee you'll save a lot of money vs. buying a pre-made hearth (unless you buy one of those cheap, tacky looking stove boards with the faux brick pattern painted on to it), you can modify the hearth to be in whatever shape or configuration you want and most important of all every time you look over at your stove you will see the hearth that you built and you will no doubt be proud of what you built.

There is are some big differences between US stoves an Englander. They are not the same company. All Englanders are made in VA. I think some of the US Stoves are imported. Also, most important to some people, their door handle is on the left side. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.