New stove owner questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Verdure

Dec 26, 2020
Québec
Hello, most of the links in the START HERE post are dead, is there an up to date resource for newbies?

I am unable to get my chimney temperature reading up higher than 300f and am concerned I am damaging my chimney or creating other problems. I'm using a Drolet contempro 1600, the chimney was cleaned and inspected 3 months ago, right before I acquired the residence.

How are you measuring the chimney temperature? What is your chimney made of?

I'm checking the temperature with a basic thermometer magnet, it was here on the chimney when we acquired it. The chimney is some sort of steel, the elbow connector still has it's part #, wh-pn-016. The stove itself seems very hot.

I should also mention we have white smoke exiting the chimney, in case this is a clue. I am not certain our wood is adequately dried.

Last edited:
If this is single-wall stove pipe then the interior temperature of the flue is about twice as high. If the stove is hot, then don't push it higher.

If this is single-wall stove pipe then the interior temperature of the flue is about twice as high. If the stove is hot, then don't push it higher.

I believe it is double wall, but that is just an educated guess. It does not have a lot of clearance space around it.

Can you post a couple of pictures of the setup? 300º on a double-wall stove pipe is high. A magnetic surface thermometer is for single wall stove pipe or the stovetop.

I very well may be wrong about the chimney, I'm going on what I found online referencing the 45 degree part.

This is the thermometer : https://images.app.goo.gl/57LpoXU83bStZZYZ8

IMG_20201226_184734.jpg IMG_20201226_184651.jpg

That's an odd setup. It looks like double-wall in the first picture and single-wall connected to the stove. Where is the thermometer?

The stove glass looks really black. It should be pretty clear with dry wood burning.

I've been moving the thermometer around to try different spots. I am pretty sure it's not working, earlier this morning it read 100f and the chimney was much too hot to touch. Presently it's on the chimney about 12" above the stove.

I blackened the glass yesterday, I was trying different wood to see if I could get the temperature up and the log I choose was too moist. Still have a lot to learn.

I am pretty sure it's not working, earlier this morning it read 100f and the chimney was much too hot to touch

I’ve got 3 mag mounts and all 3 read different when attached at the same spot. The only one I’ve got that I trust is the auber with a thermocouple.

Hard to tell in the pic but one says 250f and the other says 400f.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know what you mean by smoke being burnt. We have some white smoke exiting the chimney, and occasionally we get a little bit of smoke inside the house (odor, not visible.)
The inside the fire box is not smokey
I do now believe my thermometer is junk.

Is there a newbie guide or resource you recommend for someone starting from zero?

So, a properly burning stove will be clear in the firebox as it's so hot in there that the smoke is burning. When you light a new fire or the firebox is cool, like on a reload, you can see smoke.

Check out this link@

Thanks, I understand. The box is clear, and I've just ordered some dry wood.
I originally started with that page you referenced but many of the links are dead. I will go through it again.

Don't feel bad about asking questions. I guarantee you that somebody else is wondering the same thing.

I originally started with that page you referenced but many of the links are dead. I will go through it again.
If you find dead links, please copy/paste them into a PM to webfish.

Unfortunately, the wood you ordered will most likely not be dry.

Reactions: jmb6420