1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

New stove, room gets to hot

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by JohnJohn, Nov 9, 2013.

1. BCC_Burner

BCC_Burner Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Wasatch Front: 7800'
    Hit 93 in my place last night. Don't think I'll be getting cold this winter, despite how poorly insulated my place is. That NC-30 is a beast of a heater.
    BrotherBart likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Firedancer

Firedancer New Member

Loc:
    New Jersey
    We read instructions ;)
    dyerkutn and firefighterjake like this.
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    And you ask questions. Always a good thing when uncertain. I'll bet you ask for directions when lost too. ==c
    dyerkutn and firefighterjake like this.
  4. lopiliberty

lopiliberty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mineral County, WV
    I see that on a daily basis at my house. Sometimes its a good thing and sometimes its a bad thing
  5. dyerkutn

dyerkutn Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Boston NW suburbs
    way too hot for me--I don't even like it in summertime--
  6. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    If your house is a collection of smaller rooms on multiple floors(like mine ) your going to have trouble. I move a lot of air to keep this barn warm with one big stove in the basement. Stove room gets 90-95 just to keep the next 2 floors up habitable. A boiler does work much better in this case as hot air wood stoves are more suited for a large room centrally located with an open floor plan. I have both, and only with the boiler can i get even room temps.
  7. USMC80

USMC80 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    My floor plan is not open at all and I manage with a ceiling fan in bedrooms, kitchen and stove room. Haven't had to use a floor fan yet. Stove room stays around 6 degrees warmer than other rooms. 4 ceiling fans in all
  8. Oregon aloha

Oregon aloha Member

Loc:
    Willamette Valley and the coast
    Ceiling fans in my house work well. If the ceiling fan is in your stove room run it forward instead of reverse. The ceiling fan circulates the air within a room so if the room is cold run it in reverse so your moving the air along the ceiling were it is warm and down the walls to warm the floor. If the room is too warm run the fan forward to move the air along the floor and up the walls cooling the room. It doesn't eliminate all the dead air out of the corners like in reverse as the ceiling has no obstacles to block air movement. In forward furnishing divert the air movement and you don't get a complete wash of air. This could possibly help move some warmth out of the room.
    Also I crack a window in the rooms that are too cold to draw warm air into them. The warm air take up more room then cool air so you get that chimney effect pushing air out the window and drawing the warmer air into that room.