New stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snrek

Jan 30, 2015
north FL
I'm currently using a VC Intrepid that I bought 20 years ago.
I'm looking for a replacement.
I live in north Florida and it seldom gets much below freezing so my heating needs really are minimal. I'm heating only 1000-1500 square feet.
My problem is that I'm stuck with a short flue (about 13-14 feet) because of my house, a squat one story. A taller flue would be susceptible to hurricane winds and I'm not willing to punch holes in my steel roof to guy it. I was about to pull the trigger on a Napoleon until I was told they need a strong draft. I don't want an electric draft enhancer or fan of any kind, I want this stove to be able to operate "off grid".
Also, after fighting this cat stove with leaky seams now (time for a total rebuild) for 20 years I think I'd like to look at a steel non-cat stove. Something I don't have to jump up and feed every 2 hours and one that will give all night burns and accept 16" logs, the standard here.
To sum up the requirements are:
1) steel and noncat (preferred but not necessary)
2) able to do at least limited cooking or warming on top
3) accept 16" logs
4) achieve all night burn
5) no fans necessary for operation
6) able to do all this in a weaker draft situation
This will likely be an expensive long-term commitment so I'd like to do it right!
TIA for your expertise!

Pacific Energy Super does everything you are asking for. I have the insert version on a 13 ft liner and it drafts without any issues even in 50 F weather. If you want a nicer look check the PE T5. It's the Super with an additional cast iron shell on the outside. No gaskets to be concerned of.

That's amazing! The PE was my next choice. My concern was the short flue. I didn't know if the PE would still perform.
Thanks

Of course, no one can guarantee you that the Super will work in your case as every house is different. But from the available options it is probably the most likely one to give you at least decent draft.

How is the flue constructed? Any bends? Double-wall pipe?

Of course, no one can guarantee you that the Super will work in your case as every house is different. But from the available options it is probably the most likely one to give you at least decent draft.

How is the flue constructed? Any bends? Double-wall pipe?
No bends, single wall to ceiling, 2100 degree through ceiling and up. Any suggestions?

I had a friend locally that heated for years with the Intrepid II. He got tired of frequent feeding and cat replacements and asked me to come up with a replacement stove. We put in a PE Alderlea T5 to replace the VC stove. This is the same firebox as the Super with a cast iron jacket. He said it made a day and night difference. In particular he was very pleased with the long burntimes but also the greater comfort with the new stove. With a short stack in a mild climate I usually suggest a PE stove. They work ok where other stoves will simply not go into secondary burn.

Another buddy of mine has a Summit on a 12ft rise flue system that includes a 90 turn up the chimney. I was dubious but it drafts ok, particularly when temps get into the 40s and below.

No bends, single wall to ceiling, 2100 degree through ceiling and up. Any suggestions?

Without bends you have a very good chance the Super will work ok. If not there are some options like installing an OAK, swapping the single wall for double, or extending the chimney if all else fails. I would say go for it.

I had a friend locally that heated for years with the Intrepid II. He got tired of frequent feeding and cat replacements and asked me to come up with a replacement stove. We put in a PE Alderlea T5 to replace the VC stove. This is the same firebox as the Super with a cast iron jacket. He said it made a day and night difference. In particular he was very pleased with the long burntimes but also the greater comfort with the new stove. With a short stack in a mild climate I usually suggest a PE stove. They work ok where other stoves will simply not go into secondary burn.

Another buddy of mine has a Summit on a 12ft rise flue system that includes a 90 turn up the chimney. I was dubious but it drafts ok, particularly when temps get into the 40s and below.
I can second the frequent feeding and frequent and expensive cat replacements

Without bends you have a very good chance the Super will work ok. If not there are some options like installing an OAK, swapping the single wall for double, or extending the chimney if all else fails. I would say go for it.
What is an OAK? How much difference will double wall from the ceiling to the stove make? It sure sounds like the PE Super is the way to go and like the PE's looks.

OAK = outside air kit. Especially helpful when the house is rather airtight. When opening a window close to the stove improves draft noticeably an OAK may be a good idea. Swapping the pipe may not make much of a difference but if your draft is borderline it could just push you over the line.

I have been looking around and there is also a steptop model available.It has claims to be better for cooking it seems to cost about $100-$150 more, is it worth it? Is there a difference in cooking?
Also found a really good price at stoves-pipes.com. Does anyone know anything about them?

Status
Not open for further replies.