New member. So many questions. What stove??????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Okay next question

I spoke to the guys at Woodstock I would really like to have an ideal steel. They have concerns about the size of that stove in the house we are building. IE running it too low and creosote concerns. Theoretically couldn't I just run smaller loads and still run it hot or run it less often? Or am I thinking about this wrong.

Yes, you should be able to run at half or 3/4 loads cleanly with the Ideal Steel but don’t expect the longer burn times. Have you looked at the Absolute Steel? They do have a 6 month return policy if it doesn’t work out.

That's a wide range of stove sizes and technology. The first thing to do is to reset expectations. A new 1400 sq ft, tight home is not going to need a big stove like the Ideal Steel. Depending on the insulation level, ceiling height, and amount of windows, it may only need a stove half this size. Based on the description I wouldn't go larger than 2 cu ft. Better yet, get the heat loss calc done now. You'll need it anyway for the primary heating system design. That will provide a guideline for the wood stove sizing. My guess is that a 2 cu ft Blaze King or the same sized Kuma will do all that you need. In non-cats, I would consider a PE Alderlea T5 or Super27 HD.

The Quad and the MF Nova are more or less fixed burn rate stoves. I wouldn't recommend them if the goal is 24/7 heating.
I totally agree with this recommendation. Or A PE Super Classic LE. That would be great for your 1,400 sq. ft. house. I have one for 2,900 sq. ft. and it won't cut it, but for your size house, it should be great.

So the only thing I can say for certain is finding someone to talk to about the quadra fire discovery that really understands the product has not been easy. My local dealer didn't really have a lot of answers they did have one in stock I was able to see it but not a lot of knowledge there. When you try to call quadra or even hearth and home there's no real option to talk to anyone
It is a far cry from calling Woodstock

In general terms, Quadrafire makes good quality, non-cat stoves. The Discovery II is a conventional tube secondary stove. Quad's selling features for the stove are the ACC startup system and the tall, open base. It's very similar to the Quad 3100 internally.

Okay that's good to know I was actually currently on the forum reading about some of their stuff coming from China didn't get far enough into the thread to get an answer

Okay that's good to know I was actually currently on the forum reading about some of their stuff coming from China didn't get far enough into the thread to get an answer
IIRC that applies more to certain parts in the pellet stove line, though it might apply to the blower these days. Not sure. The wood stoves are made in Colville, WA.

Their stoves do not come from china

Ok
That's good to know I can't seem to get a clear answer even talking to the people at Harmon which is Right out My back door
Harman is owned by the same parent company but really won't know anything about quad. Every stove is going to have a few imported components but the stoves themselves are absolutely not from china

Okay I'm glad somebody at least has definitive answers!!!

Do we know where the quadrafire discoveries are manufactured? Or is there anyone on here who really understands the technical aspects of the stove. There's another stove I find information on called the 31le that looks exactly like the discovery but it seems like they can run it a lot slower and I don't know if that's because that stove is marketed in Australia and not subject to the same regulations

Noted above, Quad stoves are made in Colville, WA.

Okay I'm glad somebody at least has definitive answers!!!

Do we know where the quadrafire discoveries are manufactured? Or is there anyone on here who really understands the technical aspects of the stove. There's another stove I find information on called the 31le that looks exactly like the discovery but it seems like they can run it a lot slower and I don't know if that's because that stove is marketed in Australia and not subject to the same regulations

Here is your anwer

Screenshot_20240202_130954_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Noted above, Quad stoves are made in Colville, WA.
Some are made in pa now as well where harman woodstoves used to be made. They shifted after harman dropped their woodstoves

Reactions: begreen
So attached is the floor plan open concept main floor going to be between 1250 and 1300 square feet. There's some Doodles on there but the scribbled in square next to the steps is where we are thinking about putting the wood stove. Obviously new construction so it'll be a pretty tight house but won't be able to use any kind of outside air so I don't know if that will affect my decision making or I should say should?

IMG_20240303_083226833.jpg

thoughts

Ditch the fireplace. No need for two fires.

Add electric radiant floor heat for the master bath (that exterior corner will be colder than you want when the stove is running an electric baseboard heater would be fine too).

Add a ventilating dehumidifier (this solves any negative pressure issues with the stove as you can run the fan non the dehumidifier to bring in fresh air)

Require a blower door test.

Yes the fire place is gone. Forgot to cross that out.
Where is the tv going? Placing wood stove a TV and all that glass is not always simple. One thought could be place the stove on the facing’s into the kitchen where the fireplace was. (Assuming you still have a wall there for the TV in the LR

The couch would go where it shows the fireplace in the center of the room TV along the wall where it shows the couch and the dark square where it says great room right next to the steps is where I was considering putting the wood stove

Reactions: EbS-P
If you are looking at Woodstock stoves, I recommend the Keystone. I can load it up around 10 pm, and at 6 am, I have enough coals to get a fire going quickly. The stove is warm to the touch, and the cat gets up to temperature faster. If you plan to burn 24/7, then soapstone stoves are excellent, but if you plan to only burn in the evenings, they aren’t the best choice.

So between a Woodstock ideal steel or a Lopi evergreen hybrid (with cat) which one is more controllable? Those are the two stoves I'm between. My only real concern with either one is cooking us out. And although the Woodstock has a substantially larger firebox when you look at their ratings they list it down to 9000 BTUs but lopi down to 12

It's quite likely that the Ideal Steel would be too large. A BK Chinook would be a better choice for a steel cat stove.