New Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rebahusky

Jul 25, 2008
pittsburgh
Hi I just got a new stove and i started installing the chimney.I put the wall thimble 24 in.
down from the basement ceiling.The basement is only about 6 ft high from floor to ceiling.
The question i have is there any height i have to run the stove pipe from stove before 90.
Its going to be short pipe.
Thanks John
Also the snap lock adapter that goes in the wall thimble that connects to duraplus does not
fit very tight to the duraplus.Is it suppose to be tight?

You can put a 90 right at the stove if you need to. It sure seems to me that it should be tight!!!!

What is the stove make and model? Depending on the stove, with only a 6 ft ceiling, there may be a clearance issue above the stove top if there is no heat shielding above the stove.

I think you will be ok if your 24" from the ceiling. I think single wall pipe clearance is 18" double wall is something like 12". Your manual should state the clearances to combustibles.

This is a big heater, personally for peace of mind, I would install a NFPA heat shield above the stove matching the hearth dimensions. If I remember right, Elk got called on this by a local inspector for a donor stove. But best to get the official word from Englander.

This would be similar to an alcove installation. Unfortunately this is not mentioned in the manual. I called Englander support, but he didn't know either. We may need Corie to weigh in with a decision here when he gets back from vacation.

edit: found the link. Looks like the requirement is 54":

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/7437/

The cement board needs spacers to keep it 1" off of the combustibles (rafters). You could use doubled up 3" wide shim strips of the cement board to make the spacers.

Attachments

• shield.jpg
    shield.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 264
BeGreen said:
This is a big heater, personally for peace of mind, I would install a NFPA heat shield above the stove matching the hearth dimensions. If I remember right, Elk got called on this by a local inspector for a donor stove. But best to get the official word from Englander.

This would be similar to an alcove installation. Unfortunately this is not mentioned in the manual. I called Englander support, but he didn't know either. We may need Corie to weigh in with a decision here when he gets back from vacation.

edit: found the link. Looks like the requirement is 54":

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/7437/

That 54" was for a Century stove, I doubt the Englander is that much but there are a couple of Englander experts on here that will give you the skinny on this one.

This top clearance thing just makes no sence to me. The stove pipe will be closer to the ceiling than the thicker plate steel of the stove and only needs 18"? And the stove pipe is more likely to fail or get cherry red from a pipe/chimney fire than a stove top?

i dont know where the guy that busted ELK got his information (maybe century had that in their manual) , NFPA 211 table 12.6.1 (Standard Clearances for solid fuel burning appliances )states that 36 inches is the number for clearance above the top of the casing or the appliance. in the absence of a stated number in the installations manual (there isnt i checked , will have to get that fixed asap) unless anything in print can be shown to me thats the number as far as i can see it. only caveat i see is the space being considered an "alcove" which is defined by the enclosed space being less than 512 sq. ft. which the stove is not listed for and cannot be installed in an area smaller than that.

EDIT: reread the origional thread again and with 6 ft ceilings though it does not meet criteria for an alcove installation (code only refers to square footage not vertical height) adding a protector to the ceiling may very well be prudent as that stove does push a lot of heat. but as far as i can asscertain there is no code related requirement for it due to the 36" allowance stated in 211 12.6.1 .

The Century Hearth/Dutchwest plate steel stoves came with an insert sheet with clearance information. On that sheet the 54" clearance to the ceiling was shown for the small stoves and 56" for the big one. It was also in their manuals.

As I noted, I don't know what the ruling should be here, but personally would rather be prudently cautious. A couple sheets of durock are cheap protection. Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but when BB describes this stove as heating his community, I treat it with respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.