new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slim789

Oct 30, 2007
plains of Colorado
Greetings, This is my first post; please forgive any indescretions I may commit.
I will purchase my first wood stove this weekend. It will be a a PE Summit Classic or the Alderlea T6. Whatever one I buy will have the optional blower and an outside air intake. The stove is needed to be the primary heat source for a 2800 square foot house. 1600 s.f. up stairs, 1200 down. 10 foot ceiling height. Very well insulated. I will run the fan on my furnace to aid with circulating the air.
Will one of these stoves work better for this purpose than the other? Will I run myself out of the basement due too excessive heat? Will the length of the chimminey/flue be an obstacle?
Thank you in advance for any input, Craig

Both stoves are the same inside. How will the heat get from the basement to the 1st floor? Is there a large open staircase from the basement to the 1st floor? If yes, this may work. Otherwise it would be better to put the stove on the 1st floor. As for using the furnace fan, see the zillion previous posts on this.

Furnace fans rarely work, there is just too much lose of heat through the ducts. If your going to put the stove in a basement think supply/return, push the cold air down and the heat should rise. But be advised this doesn't always work in every house, you need a good open floor plan with a centrally located stairwell.

Status
Not open for further replies.