New Stover owner, New "Pellet Pig"..kinda...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mustangwagz

Feeling the Heat
Oct 5, 2014
Western PA
sup folks,

some of yinz may have run across my thread about being a new owner with and older stove. (pre 2009)
American harvest 6039.

Ran into local hardware store to grab a few things and mentioned pellets. The owner, a good friend, said he could get me some if i needed em, his warehouse had a few tons left. He called to check, they had 6 tons of lignetics that hadnt sold yet. So...i bought 3 while i could to see how they'd work out for me. Ive read some good and bad about them but i figured why not, 230/ton i may as well atleast try it. Once i see how this little thing does, i may end up trying to find some top notch pellets (which ill have to research that too cuz im sure there's 10 million different types that ppl always want or swear by)

ill be sure to keep everyone posted on how they hold up for me in my super old, drafty, converted school house from the 1840's. haha.

You struck a good deal. From what I've read, those pellets are well thought of.
Cool, thanks for the heads up. Whats the brand of choice up in NH? i KNOW its cold up there, got family in norther Vermont but they use wood so they cant make any suggestions for me. haha.

Cool, thanks for the heads up. Whats the brand of choice up in NH? i KNOW its cold up there, got family in norther Vermont but they use wood so they cant make any suggestions for me. haha.

Okanagans, Barefoot, LeCrete's, and Somerset's get a lot of play as the "best" with Green Supremes getting mixed reviews. Many say Green Supremes are really Maine Wood Pellets, and others say that the MWP's are really New England Wood Pellets. Welcome to the maelstrom.

Last edited:
ive seen the name "somerset" quite a bit, seems like the prize winning pig kinda... ill google em.

Lignetics are a great deal at $230/ton. Locally they are $300/ton so I just bought 5 bags last year to test. Very hot and average ash content. Green Team Platinum was basically identical to the Lignetics in my testing but I can get them much cheaper so I went with a few tons of those this year, a few tons of Lacrete's and some other mixed pellets.
Green Supreme are made by New England Wood Pellet and are exactly the same as NEWP labeled pellets. They have 3 different plants but are not related to MWP. From all the brands I've tested would rank them in the bottom 3rd. They'll heat the house, but not as warm and not as clean as a lot of the better ones.
MWP did sell a softwood pellet in the past that I really liked last year, but unfortunately I was told they weren't available this year.
A lot of brands don't make it this far north in much quantity unless they are produced up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.