New term to me "excessive draft"--we will have a very long pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Reactions: moresnow
Simple answer and not complex. An in flue pipe damper.

Reactions: LGMC
Sounds like a nice large free standing stove in the family room where you spend most of your time would be really nice in a home that size. In addition, with 8 acres of timber and a willing husband with a nice armada (already) of wood gathering toys....... Why not ;lol Worst outcome is less LP usage/expense, central fire view/heating unit for the family to enjoy, no more gym membership perhaps due to wood gathering as a family!
In the end if you should decide to also add a wood furnace to the basement forced air system (rather involved process comparatively) for the remainder of the house at least you know what you are getting into for wood gathering routine, seasoning, storage, usage etc. I think I'd rather have a free stander that was used occasionally, if that's what ends up happening, in comparison to the add on wood furnace to start out with. We do have some members with both systems. 2 cents worth.
Thank you! Loved reading your two cents!!

Nobody needs a chainsaw, truck, tractor, or even an axe to burn firewood. You can just buy wood cut and split. All you need is a place to store it and a stove to burn it. Some people even buy these compressed sawdust things so no firewood is needed.

The whole point of the original post was that she lives in the woods and wants to lower her bills using free wood.

I don't NEED as much firewood processing gear as I have either, but it uh... it creeps up on you!

(Also, I suspect that the OP already has two feet on this path... she mentioned that hubby already has 6 cords stacked and wants to build a pole barn for them...) ;lol

Last edited:
In a mansion! 4000 sf plus a basement, wow.

In a mansion! 4000 sf plus a basement, wow.
So not knowing what style house it is...that could be 2000 sq ft per floor...not small, but not some sprawling mansion either. 4000 sq ft ranch, yeah that's pretty good size, and probably not the easiest house to heat/cool.

Thank you to everyone who took an interest to comment. We got a great price on the house bc it was the last one for sale and it should only increase in value due to the location and the acreage. Only reason we pulled the trigger.... crossing fingers.

The propane is throwing us for a loop to heat the home. If we can figure out a way to heat with the "free wood" it would be ideal. Husband is a hard worker and we speak, he is helping a friend chop up a huge tree that fell in his yard. He gung-ho about the idea of a stand alone wooden stove and I'm sure he can handle the wood part (even if this means buying a mechanical spitter which I think he would do). I'm not exactly sure how I feel bc it will change the look in the family room having a 6 x19" pipe to the ceiling and having two "fireplaces" in the same room. Even today, as I am sitting here, the house temp is set at 64 and it is 55 outside. I'm chilly even with layers on.

It was helpful to read everyone's input and suggestions on what method may be the best approach. I am thinking maybe the 3 cubic ft. stand alone wood stove to heat the "core" (family room). The Kuma Ashwood LE is only a 2.5 cubic feet so we may need to look at other options once we lock down the plan.

Thank you very much everyone! I learned a lot!

Last edited:
Yeah, you won't be happy with a 2.5 CF stove.
FYI, as long as you go with doublewall stove pipe (recommended anyways) it could be painted a color other than the usual black, if that would help the long pipe be less obtrusive...probably would still need to be high temp paint...but that is available in colors other than black these days...

Yeah, you won't be happy with a 2.5 CF stove.
FYI, as long as you go with doublewall stove pipe (recommended anyways) it could be painted a color other than the usual black, if that would help the long pipe be less obtrusive...probably would still need to be high temp paint...but that is available in colors other than black these days...
OH Thank you ! Yes, we would plan on a double pipe for sure. Great tip! Black may look best however, it does open the door for more options to help it blend. I had no clue! Good to know! Also was huge to know 2.5 wouldn't cut it. That would have been a bad mistake.......

Also was huge to know 2.5 wouldn't cut it. That would have been a bad mistake.......
2.5 would be a huge improvement over what you are dealing with now though, but sitting in shorts and a t-shirt in front of a 3-4 CF stove will make that long stove pipe completely disappear.
And buying the wrong free standing stove is not the end of the world...they are pretty easy to swap out, and to sell used.
FYI, there is a manufacturer not that far from you (VA) that makes a well regarded large stove, the NC30, recently updated and now called the NC32... Englander.

Also, Drolet makes a large stove that is well liked, the HT3000.

Do not walk, RUN away from that salesman...the FC1000E (and its sister the Shelter SF1000E) is a HORRIBLE excuse for a wood furnace! Use the search feature on the forum here to read about the mayhem.
As of right now there are only 2 good wood furnaces on the market, 1 is brand new, the Drolet Heat Commander, https://myfireplaceproducts.com/us_en/drolet-heat-commander-wood-furnace-df02003
and the long standing king of hill, Kuuma Vaporfire VF100. https://www.lamppakuuma.com/
Most stoves will have a window for "fire TV"...the Drolet HC has a window in the door, the Kuuma does not...but if you don't hang out in the basement, that doesn't matter much anyways...a wood furnace will help warm the basement some, and help keep the floors warmer too...a stove upstairs will not do as much the floor temp, and with a stove upstairs you may need to watch that pipes don't freeze in the far corners of the basement if you don't run the main furnace sometimes during a particular cold spell. Sure is nice to sit close to that radiant heat though!
Modern Wood furnaces will not use much more wood than a stove of similar firebox size...4 cords per year is pretty common, maybe 5 during a really bad winter...but 4 is more likely since you are further south. Just as with modern stoves, you'll need truly dry wood, not the "seasoned" firewood the most firewood sellers peddle.
If you have a pretty open floor plan, a free standing stove will heat the house pretty well...even if it doesn't do it all, it will take a HUGE bite out of the heating bill...and the house will be much warmer than you have been keeping it...70-75* is pretty common amongst many wood heat enthusiast!
Good advice. I agree completely. There is a boiler/furnace forum here if you want to explore furnace options more.

Thank you to everyone who took an interest to comment. We got a great price on the house bc it was the last one for sale and it should only increase in value due to the location and the acreage. Only reason we pulled the trigger.... crossing fingers.

The propane is throwing us for a loop to heat the home. If we can figure out a way to heat with the "free wood" it would be ideal. Husband is a hard worker and we speak, he is helping a friend chop up a huge tree that fell in his yard. He gung-ho about the idea of a stand alone wooden stove and I'm sure he can handle the wood part (even if this means buying a mechanical spitter which I think he would do). I'm not exactly sure how I feel bc it will change the look in the family room having a 6 x19" pipe to the ceiling and having two "fireplaces" in the same room. Even today, as I am sitting here, the house temp is set at 64 and it is 55 outside. I'm chilly even with layers on.

It was helpful to read everyone's input and suggestions on what method may be the best approach. I am thinking maybe the 3 cubic ft. stand alone wood stove to heat the "core" (family room). The Kuma Ashwood LE is only a 2.5 cubic feet so we may need to look at other options once we lock down the plan.

Thank you very much everyone! I learned a lot!

Free isn't free, either. Getting wood definitely qualifies as a part-time job. Those who keep doing it just enjoy playing with saws and farting around in the woods. (This is also a fairly dangerous activity for someone who has never run a saw or dropped a tree before... both activities can mess you up. Happily, the internet has made a wealth of good info accessible.)