new to gasifacation world--Greenwood questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think is is to warm to use this boiler yet ? I was hoping to heat my domestic water as much as possible but our winters are not that long or cold so now i'm beginning to fear that this boiler is only good for more extreme condions!

nova66 said:
Do you think is is to warm to use this boiler yet ? I was hoping to heat my domestic water as much as possible but our winters are not that long or cold so now i'm beginning to fear that this boiler is only good for more extreme condions!
I think you hit it on the head !!
Anthony

Sounds to me like a draft problem. Use a manometer to measure it, soon.
Mine too has some condensate coming from the boiler and the flue. Once it gets colder that should subside, if the unit is not oversized.
Make certain the air inlet holes are not blocked by ash. I use my flat shovel to pull the ash away from the inlet every time I fill the beast.
It helps if the room the boiler is in is insulated and warm. I notice she'll sweat if I leave the door open too long during colder times. Condensate.

Heaterman,
My unit is going on its 3rd year and has never had a inducer on it. No goo after the burn in period. I think a lot of issues come into play when people fire these units up for the very first time in the fall when the weather is warm. I burn mine late October to early May and only put a match to it once or twice a year. Keeping the water temp always above 140 is a must IMHO. Greenwood does seem like the hardest boiler to set up but the easiest to use once they get going.

If it's too big, you need more demand. Make some heat!
Mine, I think is just too small, not much. So I'll work on insulating the house mo' better.
But not much goo or crazy cleaning. Only goo when warm, you may get yer demand when it gets cold.

nova66 said:
The supplier came down last week to see what i was complaining about and he tested what wood i had at 12 % he said ??????
you dont see lumber that dry for building how deep of a probe did he use and did he check more then one one log? that goo as we are calling it is from an incomplete burn for the most part.

Coming up on two full years with a GW100 heating 4,000[] of NC here.

1)Measure the draft, don't guess.
2)consider going 8" all the way from the GW
3)As others have said, 12% MC don't sound correct. How bout a description of the wood? Size, species, when cut, how stored
4)Congrats!! You own the hardest unit to get figured out. Which makes no sense, since it's got the fewest controls. Hang in there.
5)Outside temp obviously affects heat load. But if you load the unit appropriatly, the unit should work fine. I ran my unit much of the summer for DHW.
6)a 200 sounds way oversized to me. What was your heat loss calc?
7)Yes, this unit will wreck the inside of your house if you installed it inside the LA. You didn't install it inside the Living area, did you?!?!! :eek:hh:
8) you may as well hold your hand over your ass as to expect significant help from GreenWood. Keep reading this forum, stick to the fundamentals, hang in there.

From my experiance, these units are good, but not perfect and probably not as efficient as the down-draft-induced design. But the learning curve is hell :smirk: In the begining of my use, I tended to overload, use the wrong wood, open the door too much, yada, yada, yada! I think it takes time to get these green beasts figured out. The problem you're going to have is trying to figure it out while your house is being destroyed by smoke. If you can get this unit outside, do it! Even if you have to burn oil for a month, it's worth it.

Oh, before I go . . . has your one-piece-refractory (Design flaw :shut: ) turned in to 7-piece yet??

Jimbo

Status
Not open for further replies.