new to me (used) Winslow pi40 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kretz

Nov 18, 2014
Suffolk
Hello, i'm new to this site and to pellet stoves. i just purchased a used winslow pi40 pellet stove and did the install myself. prior to installing i practically took the whole thing apart to clean it ( the prior owners had left it stored in a storage unit and left it full of ash). when trying to run it for the first time it would light but would not finisht the ignition process, would stop feeding pellets and eventually cut off giving me a fault code (ignition failure). after doing some research (mostly on this site) and reading i decided to take a look at the proof of fire switch thinking that i would probably have to replace it. i disconnected the switch and ensured it was clean (i had just finished cleaning prior to the install) and i tested it by using my multimeter to measure the resistance between the two terminals on the switch and then holding a lighter up to the switch and reading resistance again. To my suprise the switch seemed to operate properly. I reinstalled the switch and lit the stove again and checked the resistance between the switch terminals while in operation and it still seemed to operate properly. kind of disappointed at this time (i was hoping this was the problem) i began tracing wires to look for shorts/poor connections and found that one of the wires (blue) coming from the proof of fire was not connected to the wire harness. after looking up the wiring diagram in the manual, it indeed shows the blue wire connected to the wire harness but the pin where it goes into the harness doesnt appear to have ever been crimped and it doesnt appear that the wire had ever been installed in the harness. i temporarily connected the wire as shown in the diagram and wha-la the stove lit up nicely and ran for a couple of hours with no problem. my question is does anyone know of a reason why that wire would not be connected to the harness as it did not appear to have ever been connected before. Another question i have is that in the wiring diagram it also shows a grey wire coming from the harness but mine does not, the pin location for the grey wire is empty, nor does it have a grey wire anywhere in the wire bundle (like it never existed). does anyone know what this wire would have been for and could it have been a change in the design or am i missing something.

Sounds like your trouble shooting skills are heading you in the right direction;) Welcome to the forum. Many are more well verse than I on electrical systems so hopefully they will chime in...

Sometimes stove changes are not always reflected in the manual. What year is your Winslow? Will have to see if it matches manual version. Wiring does show a grey wire but not sure what it's function is ... I'm puzzled too:confused:

I'm just guessing but the grey wire sounds to be for an option or update feature that your stove doesn't have. Regarding the blue wire connection, are you sure the connector pin isn't just broken and now missing ? I mean obviously the wire needs to be connected the stove doesn't run otherwise.

You get a Gold Star for trouble shooting this, good job !!

Lake Girl,

the stove is a 2006 model I believe.

alternativeheat,

The blue wire never appeared to be connected to the pin. the pin was still in the harness and didn't look like it had ever been crimped. the blue wire was also stripped at the end exposing the wire ready to be connected but its not like it had just never been crimped and fell out because the wire was to short to reach the plug. Not sure what happened but it's wired up now and running fine.

Reactions: alternativeheat
May have been a partial rehab that was never finished or ? Nice that it was a simple fix... enjoy that heat!

Status
Not open for further replies.