New to me VC Intrepid II Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

802Maple

Feb 10, 2019
Vermont
I recently acquired a new to me VC Intrepid. According to VC customer service, based on the serial number (16371) the stove was built as an Intrepid II model 1308 in 1993. They sent me the corresponding manual. I noticed my stove doesn't say Interpid II in the castings, just Intrepid. And I noticed the catalytic damper handle is mounted on the left hand side of the stove (as your facing the front of the stove), in the manual then sent me and all the pictures I have seen online, the catalytic damper handle is mounted on the right hand side??? Just trying to determine what I really have for a stove / model etc. I can post some pictures, if that would help. Thanks!

Here are a couple pictures for reference. Thanks.

Intrepid Left.jpg Intrepid Right.jpg

It's an Intrepid 1, model 1302. It has no catalytic element and was made between 1983 and 1988. It actually predates the EPA emissions requirements. Great stove, simple construction, simple to run and maintain!

It's an Intrepid 1, model 1302. It has no catalytic element and was made between 1983 and 1988. It actually predates the EPA emissions requirements. Great stove, simple construction, simple to run and maintain!
Defiant 3:. Thank you for clarifying! Now if only I could find a manual for the model 1302!

Looking at mine now. Gonna be cold the next couple days, and it will be up.

VW Beetle simple. I have twin dragons and stirling engines on mine.