New to radiant heat.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adyer1

May 6, 2008
Upstate NY
I recently purchased a Maxim Corn/Pellet boiler and am trying to do a piping and controls layout for my radiant heat. This is all new to me and I have been reading through a lot of this site and am amazed at all the info......I am planning on doing some form of a main circulation loop w/ 1 1/4 inch pipe. Radtiant floor heat ( low temp) for first floor (using 1/2 inch pex) and Baseboard heat for the basement (using 3/4 inch pex). My house is approx. 2000 sqft. Possibly adding Baseboard to 2nd floor and domestic water at a later date (funding).
So here are some of my questions..... -

I am looking at 2 - 3 zones, Do I need a circulator for each zone??
Should I use variable speed circulators??
Or will the circulator for the main loop be enough??
Mixing valves......What type?? I see that there are (what look like) standard type and then there are mixing valves w/ a brain???
How long should the floor loops be?? I was planning on doing a max of 300ft, but I have read that some are only 150 ft??
Do I need a control box for the thermestats ?? I have seen some circulator pumps which look like the t-state hook to???
I have read of people using a Radiant Mixing Block w/ outdoor reset control???

I have a limited budget so any help and recommendations would be great.....

Thanks in advance

You need a whole system design. A little time with a radiant heat installer would be worthwhile. You'll need a circulator and mixing valve for each radiant zone as well as a primary circulator. There are a few plumbing diagrams scattered throughout this forum, including in the sticky at the top. That might help you get started.

Good luck....

Where exactly in upstate NY. I know some really good pros in that area that may be able to lend a hand . A correct design and control system is what will make or break your system. Installing the tubing isn't rocket science but you do want to cross you T's and dot your I's with the layout. Get some help. It'll come back many times over the life of the system.

I'm in the Saratoga area. I have been doing a lot of research. I am looking at 3 zones each with a vairable speed circulator, 2 zones will be with baseboard heat, the other low temp (w/ mixing valve)floor radiant using pex and Ultra-Fin....about 5 loops at 200ft each. I guess what my questions are are : any recommendations on loop legths for the radiant floor for good performance? I am guessing that the longer the loops the bigger the temp drop on the return side?? and what is a recommendation on how many baseboard sections in a baseboard loop?? I can get baseboard in 8ft lengths. i have tried to talk with some local pro's but they don't want to give out any real info unless they are doing the work. Also, anyone have any experience with 1 1/4 pes as to how much heat it will give off??? I will have about 70ft (supply and return total) going through my garage (which will be my main circulation loop from the boiler) and am curious if I will need to add an additional heating unit there.

Thanks

Ultra fin has a heat loss calc on their web site that will help you determine the tubing length as well as how many fins. I did my bedroom 2 years ago without too many regrets. The room works well below my design temp. The only issue is the higher water temps. I am running 145* water. Keeps room 71* no problem.
Will

Status
Not open for further replies.