New to the board... odd happenings...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unseasoned

Hearth Supporter
Feb 16, 2009
Northwestern TN
I'd like to start off I have read a lot of threads on this forum and you guys have a lot of great information here.

So I started burning wood this year after buying a home and some land. I noticed winter was coming and I might as well use the fire place and woodstove insert. Well this has been a learning experience. I have a stupid question though. I had a lot of smoke bellowing out of the older sierra woodstove insert(can't find a model number on it, no manual, etc), along the sides where it mounts flush with the masonry fireplace, the other sides (furthest outside of the other side of the trim), door gasket blew the right side door, and it seems like a gasket from the left side door window glass pane is leaking too. I looked outside and there is still some smoke coming out of the chimney however it isn't like it used to be, rather slow and dark. I am going to try to find a chimney sweep ASAP and see what's going on. But I am assuming there is a restriction of airflow somewhere since the air is escaping where ever it can.

Anybody who likes riddles want throw some ideas out there?

Thanks,

Unseasoned

Getting a sweep to look at this asap is a good idea. It could be that the chimney is clogging with creosote. If so, this is a fire trap and potentially dangerous. It's possible that the old Sierra was slammed into the fireplace with no liner all the way to the top of the chimney. That often leads to the unburnt gases from fire cooling rapidly as soon as they leave the stove. This is particularly common with exterior fireplaces. The cooling gases condense in the chimney as creosote deposits that build up over time. If the wood isn't fully seasoned or if the stove is left to smolder a lot, then the deposits accumulate rapidly.

Best to find out what is happening right away before burning anymore. The risk of a chimney fire is high in this circumstance.

Unseasoned said:
I'd like to start off I have read a lot of threads on this forum and you guys have a lot of great information here.

So I started burning wood this year after buying a home and some land. I noticed winter was coming and I might as well use the fire place and woodstove insert. Well this has been a learning experience. I have a stupid question though. I had a lot of smoke bellowing out of the older sierra woodstove insert(can't find a model number on it, no manual, etc), along the sides where it mounts flush with the masonry fireplace, the other sides (furthest outside of the other side of the trim), door gasket blew the right side door, and it seems like a gasket from the left side door window glass pane is leaking too. I looked outside and there is still some smoke coming out of the chimney however it isn't like it used to be, rather slow and dark. I am going to try to find a chimney sweep ASAP and see what's going on. But I am assuming there is a restriction of airflow somewhere since the air is escaping where ever it can.

Thanks,

Unseasoned

Hello Unseasoned and welcome to the forum.

What threw up a red flag for me was that you stated, "I noticed winter was coming and I might as well use the fire place and woodstove insert." So, did you then go out and gather up some wood or maybe buy some at that point? If so, your biggest problem, other than needing your chimney cleaned right away, is that you've been trying to burn green, unseasoned wood (even if you bought what the seller said was seasoned wood). It just does not work well at all and you'll constantly be plugging up the chimney with soot and creosote plus the smoke problem.

Please do remember that wood needs to just sit around for a time to lose moisture. That is best done by cutting your wood during the winter when the sap is down. Getting the wood split and stacked by Spring. Stack it if possible in the sun but especially where wind can hit the side of the wood pile. Do not cover it, which will allow for better evaporation. Do cover it before the next winter's snow flies, but cover only the top of the pile. Leave the sides and ends open. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Thanks for the posts Begreen and Backwoods. The sweep said that it looked like it hadn't been swept in years, which suprises me because part of the deal on buying the house was the chimneys were to be swept. Oh well, you can't trust a real estate agent right? Anyway the sweep was suprised the house didn't burn down. He spent a solid 2 hours on beating the creosote off the brick before jackhammering a larger opening for the air to rise up through. So this summer looks like I am going to get her lined up the chimney as well since it's only single brick(house was built in the 30's). Any suggestions on what kind of material for the liner to be made of?

You can clog a chimney pretty fast burning green wood, like in less than a week. Smoldering seasoned wood just takes a little longer. Just burn hotter and from now on you should be OK...if your wood is seasoned.

ps if the roof is easily accessible you can can drop a balled of chain down threw the chimney tied to a rope. It's a quick clean method ...not as clean as using a brush but something that'll help you get threw the season if you're using less than perfect wood.

Dude...you didn't tell us if its a slammer or not, or if you intend to burn it in its present (albeit swept) condition.

Just checking... no one here would endorse burning a slammer in an unlined chimney...ever.

Unseasoned said:
Any suggestions on what kind of material for the liner to be made of?

Lots of different MFGs of stove pipe out there. You are gonna need a "Class A" liner, and if I may suggest: Make it an insulated one. Once that is done, lets talk about block off plates...MMkay?

Unseasoned said:

Thanks,

Unseasoned

Please read the articles on installing and insert and chimney lining and see if your insert is installed correctly...chances are that it is not and that will cause a lot of problems.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/install_insert
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/reline_masonry_chimney/

Unseasoned said:
Thanks for the posts Begreen and Backwoods. The sweep said that it looked like it hadn't been swept in years, which suprises me because part of the deal on buying the house was the chimneys were to be swept. Oh well, you can't trust a real estate agent right? Anyway the sweep was suprised the house didn't burn down. He spent a solid 2 hours on beating the creosote off the brick before jackhammering a larger opening for the air to rise up through. So this summer looks like I am going to get her lined up the chimney as well since it's only single brick(house was built in the 30's). Any suggestions on what kind of material for the liner to be made of?
If your chimney currently only has a single layer or brick with no other liner, I would highly suggest you stop burning in it until you get it lined. You'll want to install a SS liner, which can be rigid or flexible. Since your existing chimney is not lined, you will need to insulate your new SS liner when you install it. This will not only help your draft, but it will greatly increase the safety margin of your chimney and will be required to meet code.

To that I would add, be sure that the chimney is cleaned thoroughly again before adding the liner. You want it squeaky clean first so there are no problems later.

Status
Not open for further replies.