New to the forum US Stove 5660

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pell it

Feeling the Heat
Dec 2, 2011
Rhode Island
Just wanted to say hello. I've been lurking for a couple weeks and finally registered. Our first pellet stove was an A.H. 6039 multi-fuel. Just when I got everything dialed in and figured out on it, we sold the house and the stove stayed with it. Currently in a temporary rental house with propane heat, hence, another pellet stove was a must for the place.

Budget didn't allow for a "high end" stove so we decided to gamble on the US Stove 5660 Bay Front. Didn't realize it was "Imported" till after I got it home. It seems well built, aside from fairly thin gauge steel, (you can stop laughing now) and uses Fasco blowers for both convection and combustion. No-name auger motor, but it is a std 1 RPM unit that is easily replaced. The stove fires real well (not that I can compare it to much!!) and it has burned every brand I have tried good except the 2 "Inferior" dirt bag brands. It is vertically vented to an existing 8" SS chimney and I have a homemade OAK drawing thru the floor from the crawlspace. (did not want to cut holes thru the wall in the rental house) The stove has the nice bay window (the wife loves that [I do too but don't tell anyone]) and a huge ash draw, which is great because I invested in a ton of Stove Chow so I will need it. I have the infamous scientifically calibrated "Benny's" $5 oven thermometer in the firebox to compare burn temps and my trusty meat thermometer for the convection temps.

We installed the stove mid-October and when it came time for pellets, there was not much to choose from within driving distance for the half ton truck. (Except for plenty of Inferno seeing that I am in Rhode Island) I ended up with a ton of NEWP first (I had heard they were good pellets before I found this forum) then HD had the Stove Chow in stock for $207 / ton so I grabbed a ton as well. I may be able to shoe horn another ton in the shed but I would have to sleep on them if I do!!

I'm glad to find out I am not the only one with a pellet addiction. I can't help myself. Just today I had to cruise by TSC to see what they have. "Tons" of Hardwood Heat, MWP's Premium Pellets, and Lignetics. I also stopped by Blowe's yesterday and they have North American Pellets of which I grabbed a couple bags to try. I was impressed with them. They actually burned hotter than Cubex, Barefoot, or Lignetics (green print) in our stove and I can get them for $225/ton.

Attachments

• IMG_1224-1.jpg
    IMG_1224-1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 450
pell it said:
.....Just today I had to cruise by TSC to see what they have. "Tons" of Hardwood Heat, MWP's Premium Pellets, and Lignetics. I also stopped by Blowe's yesterday and they have North American Pellets of which I grabbed a couple bags to try. I was impressed with them. They actually burned hotter than Cubex, Barefoot, or Lignetics (green print) in our stove and I can get them for $225/ton.

Well, IMO, you should get a ton of the Lignetics from TSC, but after reading your impression of the North American pellets, I'm not sure what to tell you.

The North American are actually Curran's that were re-bagged for Lowes, and not a great pellet. I have some just for the shoulder season, and I have to run the stove at least 1 or 2 heat settings lower on the Lignetics. And I find it VERY hard to believe they are better than Cubex or Barefoot.

But, if you like them..............

Welcome pell it!,

Glad you joined our little group. We all seem to have so sort of the addiction! No know cure AFAIK. Just minimal relieve when you purchase additional fuel or stove accessories! Also see in your sig you like pellet hunting different brands. Good to know whats available and how the stove handles them. JIC! ;-)

Nice looking install and enjoy the heat. :coolsmile:

Edit:

Infeno's would be a loacl pelet for you. Might want to get all the buds to start complaining to them to inprove there product. From what I gather, They use about anything thats hauled in to them. If they used a better fiber source you'd get a better pellet from them! I can't see how they stay in business with what they are sending to market now?

Status
Not open for further replies.