New to the forums with splitter question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shooter528

Jun 12, 2015
Levittown, ny
I purchased a Manchester and it will be delivered and installed through the summer. My question for starters is that I am looking at the 27 ton Ariens splitter sold by Home Depot. I was going to buy it through my local dealer but it is $300 more there and they will not deliver it. However according to HD if I buy it from them Ariens ships to the dealer and the dealer then has to assemble it put the fluids in and test it then they low and behold have to deliver it to me.

Is this a decent unit, I am in a rush as I am anticipating receiving a dump truck load of wood from a local tree guy within the week.

Yes, the Ariens 27 Ton is a quality splitter. A friend has it and I've split wood with it many times. If you're looking to save a few dollars, the $1,000 22 ton splitter from Tractor Supply is also well liked around here.

It's a good unit but that wood isn't going to be ready for this winter. If it's fresh cut oak its probably not even going to be ready for next winter.

I'd get it all split and buy some fuel blocks if you want to run that stove this year.

It's a good unit but that wood isn't going to be ready for this winter. If it's fresh cut oak its probably not even going to be ready for next winter.

I'd get it all split and buy some fuel blocks if you want to run that stove this year.

You can't possibly say that with certainty. It's possible they are "semi-seasoned" rounds of the lesser hardwoods, which could possibly be ready by winter. And plus, he asked about a splitter, not his firewood.

I love a good debate and have been looking at the forums for a few days now. I appreciate the back and forth, yes I am low on seasoned wood for this winter, I have maybe a cord that has aged 3 years left. I will probably have to buy some seasoned wood to get me through the winter. For this post I just wanted to know if that was a decent splitter.

I will research fuel blocks as well.

You can't possibly say that with certainty. It's possible they are "semi-seasoned" rounds of the lesser hardwoods, which could possibly be ready by winter. And plus, he asked about a splitter, not his firewood.
I answered about the splitter and added some more information. I don't need to be certain but I'd bet dollars to donuts I'm correct. A tree service dumping a load of wood is almost certainly not going to be semi seasoned. If that's the case then he should not be in a rush to get a splitter. He can take his time instead of rushing.

Thanks for the kind words though.

I love a good debate and have been looking at the forums for a few days now. I appreciate the back and forth, yes I am low on seasoned wood for this winter, I have maybe a cord that has aged 3 years left. I will probably have to buy some seasoned wood to get me through the winter. For this post I just wanted to know if that was a decent splitter.

I will research fuel blocks as well.
98% of bought wood will not be seasoned ( or more properly less than 20% internal moisture) when you purchase it. Therefore might as well buy enough blocks for the whole winter, although you can mix in some splits with the blocks.

27 may be overkill, a 22 will do just fine. But if you have the cash burning a hole in your pocket, go for it.
Babaganoosh is correct, in that the wood will most likely not be ready for next burn season. And Oak, plan on 2 years min., 3 years for optimal burn.
Soft woods such as pine, poplar etc may be ready, but oak, hickory etc, nope.
Also as stated, don't be too confident anything you buy "seasoned", will be ready to burn either.

Beware -----no -one will ship with fluids in equipment, You will have to add any gas and oils required.

Bob

I got a great deal on the splitter and it has arrived. also just got a dump truck of wood from the local tree guy. The splitter was shipped to a local dealer who assembled and delivered it complete with fluids and gas.

Since I didn't buy it form him and was in the market for a new saw I went into his shop and bought a ECHO 600

The wood I got is mostly maple and locust.

Beware -----no -one will ship with fluids in equipment, You will have to add any gas and oils required.

Bob
It is not shipped to the dealer with fluids in it. The dealer adds the fluids after assembling and testing, then delivers it to your house. HD calls it "white glove" service. Yes they do all of that - fluids, assembly, and delivery. Did this very thing last year around this same time. It's a nice splitter and I like the layout. Motor is out of way and is a Japanese made Subaru motor. Search the 27 ton Ariens, plenty on this site about it. Enjoy your splitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.