New guy here with a few questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wasatchcomm

Dec 14, 2023
Pinedale Wy.
I live in Pinedale wyoming
7300' elevation
1300' rectangle single story home 2006 good 2x6 insulated walls r19, vinyl windows
electric furnace we try never to run unless we are out of town, maybe 5 days a year for holidays, we burn day in and day out, house came with a imported us stove, small stove that loves to eat/waste wood. (6 cords last winter)

we get cold here, but mainly the wind is what makes it cold.. dry climate

my question is , I was all set to buy a princess from local BK dealer, but the thought of $4k drives me nuts...

I found this site and have lurked without being a member by reading reviews and the forum posts,, ive read about the PE stoves, Osburns, Bk, and most recently the Drolet stoves, which I assumed were much more expensive than ive come to find out..

Ive most recently decided I will try a Drolet stove, I dont think I will be dissappointed especially from what I currently am using.

My question is
escape 1800
vs
ht3000

I realize the pros and cons

my current stove is e/w loader
I dont mind it.
the thought and ability of the ht300 to have both e/w and n/s is very appealing
all my wood is 18"

I am building a garage perpendicular to my rectangle shaped house this spring,, a 10' breezeway will join the two.

my thought was the ht3000 I could use and keep doors to garage and house open and heat through the breezeway if I wanted.

not sure the 1800 could do this???

I guess my main question is can I buy to big of a stove?

is the only really benefit of the ht3000 the n/s loading ability?

will the 1800 be plenty of stove for my environment and situation?

ive never posted on the forum, and appreciate and and all input you would have.

thank you

Mark

Welcome. A few things that need to be thought of. Does the state allow woodstoves in garages? Most do not. How large will the new add-on be? Heating the main house from thru the breezeway is a dubious proposition. Stoves are primarily area heaters. The best place for the stove is where heat is most desired.

I didn't make that clear, sorry...Stove will be located in the house, the garage will be roughly 1500'
the stove in the house is centrally located in the 1300' house
the garage doesnt need to be heated but I figured why not if I can heat it supplementary with a large enough stove located in my house , maybe place a fan to push heat to it if I wanted.

maybe the 1800 is plenty big?

can you have to large of a stove?

Yes, in a well-insulated house, a stove can be too large, but the user has control over the fuel load size (and opening a window ;)). Based on this the Drolet Escape 1800 would work, but may need smaller loads until it gets to 20 or below. The HT3000 would likely be too large. Another value stove that loads N/S is the True North TN20. This is the value line made by Pacific Energy. Their mainline stove in this size is the Super which also would be a good fit.

If the heat loss of the breezeway is not too great, then a fan in the garage entrance, on the floor, blowing toward the house may move a bit of heat while cooling down the house, but it won't be a ton of heat and if the breezeway is unheated and lossy, then it may be a zero-gain situation.

Reactions: wasatchcomm
breezeway wil be fully enclosed and insulated r19 in walls and r30 in ceiling, cement floor but will be insualted with foam board as well, garage will all be insulated as well, sam as breezeway. maybe breezeway is not the correct word..

I do have a pacific energy dealer here in town as well, the super is quite a bit more expensive.

is this a case of super/tn20 is a Cadillac and the 1800 is a chevy?

ultimately the garage is just a bonus , id prefer to buy the correct stove for my house, and if I can heat the garage on some days great if not its ok too.. I dont want to get to small or to large stove for my home.. I could get a second 1800 for the garage as well, I suppose and not have to worry about a one stove for all.

If you cut your own wood you can start cutting it shorter for the 1800. Then it’s a N/S loader. They sell andirons or you could make them your self. Look at the manual for what I’m taking about.

If you cut your own wood you can start cutting it shorter for the 1800. Then it’s a N/S loader. They sell andirons or you could make them your self. Look at the manual for what I’m taking about.
what would be the maximum length I would want in the 1800 for n/s loading.. firebox depth in manual says 16.5"

what would be the maximum length I would want in the 1800 for n/s loading.. firebox depth in manual says 16.5"
16.5 to the glass, 14.5 to the firebrick and 13.5 to the dog house air inlet

I understand about the buy once cry once. but I think I would be very happy with the 1800 and the burn times compared to the china stove currently using. I want a good quality stove that doesnt break the bank.

Last edited:
I live in Pinedale wyoming
7300' elevation
1300' rectangle single story home 2006 good 2x6 insulated walls r19, vinyl windows
electric furnace we try never to run unless we are out of town, maybe 5 days a year for holidays, we burn day in and day out, house came with a imported us stove, small stove that loves to eat/waste wood. (6 cords last winter)

we get cold here, but mainly the wind is what makes it cold.. dry climate

my question is , I was all set to buy a princess from local BK dealer, but the thought of $4k drives me nuts...

I found this site and have lurked without being a member by reading reviews and the forum posts,, ive read about the PE stoves, Osburns, Bk, and most recently the Drolet stoves, which I assumed were much more expensive than ive come to find out..

Ive most recently decided I will try a Drolet stove, I dont think I will be dissappointed especially from what I currently am using.

My question is
escape 1800
vs
ht3000

I realize the pros and cons

my current stove is e/w loader
I dont mind it.
the thought and ability of the ht300 to have both e/w and n/s is very appealing
all my wood is 18"

I am building a garage perpendicular to my rectangle shaped house this spring,, a 10' breezeway will join the two.

my thought was the ht3000 I could use and keep doors to garage and house open and heat through the breezeway if I wanted.

not sure the 1800 could do this???

I guess my main question is can I buy to big of a stove?

is the only really benefit of the ht3000 the n/s loading ability?

will the 1800 be plenty of stove for my environment and situation?

ive never posted on the forum, and appreciate and and all input you would have.

thank you

Mark
I'm a new Drolet 1800 owner/user. My house is 2100sf but My stove is only heating roughly 1600sf (heat doesn't make it to the big master bedroom) and the 1800 is plenty more than adequate. 8' ceilings and 2x4 insulated walls.
Hope this helps somewhat

I understand about the buy once cry once. but I think I would be very happy with the 1800 and the burn times compared to the china stove currently using. I want a goos quality stove that doesnt break the bank.
You are looking in the right place

Check out the Myriad/Legend III/ Black Stag on myfireplaceproducts.com for pricing/buying.

Full specs and drawings are on the drolet site

The Legend III and others are 3.3 ft. There are some smaller drolet stoves that load N/S too.

Both of those sites seem to be a pita now on apple devices, btw.

You are looking in the right place

Check out the Myriad/Legend III/ Black Stag on myfireplaceproducts.com for pricing/buying.

Full specs and drawings are on the drolet site

The Legend III and others are 3.3 ft. There are some smaller drolet stoves that load N/S too.

Both of those sites seem to be a pita now on apple devices, btw.
thanks for the information,, I was looking at Obadiahs out of kalsipell Mt.

they sent me an estimate on the 1800 its on sale now with the pedestal mount for $1299, Free shipping, no sales tax..

Im thinking if I get the stove and dont like it I can always move it to my garage, and upgrade later on to a PE or BK or maybe another Drolet if the 1800 works well. With the positive reviews it has and the good customer service, I keep reading about, its worth a try especially for the sale price.
The E/W loading doesnt really bother me so much either, and I can load it N/S and try that out too. Maybe I will change my mind about that as well.
Maybe the N/S loading is the cats meow and once you go N/S you dont go back?????

Thank you for all the help, my biggest concern was that the Drolet was a cheap cheap stove, but I dont think that is the case from all the reading and reviews,, its a economy stove for sure, but not cheap. Any other advice is always welcome, thanks again to all that responded.

Reactions: Newbie78
thanks for the information,, I was looking at Obadiahs out of kalsipell Mt.

they sent me an estimate on the 1800 its on sale now with the pedestal mount for $1299, Free shipping, no sales tax..

Im thinking if I get the stove and dont like it I can always move it to my garage, and upgrade later on to a PE or BK or maybe another Drolet if the 1800 works well. With the positive reviews it has and the good customer service, I keep reading about, its worth a try especially for the sale price.
The E/W loading doesnt really bother me so much either, and I can load it N/S and try that out too. Maybe I will change my mind about that as well.
Maybe the N/S loading is the cats meow and once you go N/S you dont go back?????

Thank you for all the help, my biggest concern was that the Drolet was a cheap cheap stove, but I dont think that is the case from all the reading and reviews,, its a economy stove for sure, but not cheap. Any other advice is always welcome, thanks again to all that responded.

I just ordered an HT-3000 from Obadiah's but it hasn't been shipped yet. I ordered the blower and the thermodisc kit also. I bought an oil burning stove from them for my mother in either 2008 or 2009. It had problems because of a factory defect. They let me return it at no charge and let me buy another brand stove. They seem like good people to deal with.

Given your location and elevation I'm guessing that you have some pretty cold weather there. I don't know which stove would be best for you but the HT-3000 is $1,499 so it's not much more than the 1800. I've read that you can always load a bigger stove with a smaller load if you need less heat and I think that's true. I do smaller loads often in the stove that I have now.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Ya I saw that the HT3000 was on sale , and yes we get cold here but it’s dry, not a PNW damp high moisture kind of cold, I can wear a small puffy here if sun is out and 0 degrees no wind and be warmer than north Idaho , PNW at mid 20’s with the moisture. It’s just not as cold being so dry.
Don’t get me wrong with the wind chill we get it gets cold. This stove I have now is a us stove Chinese import, it was here when we bought the house. I did read that the ht3000 requires 15’ of pipe for proper draft. And the 1800 is 12’ which I currently have. My pipe is expose to the NW which is the direction We get winter wind, if I added another 3’ I’d have to add lateral bracing. Which probably isn’t a big deal. But it does get that pipe up in the air a ways and exposed to the winds we get, not every day. But it can blow here!
I thought maybe I could get the HT3000 and do want you suggested. Smaller fires, but it really sounds like that stove would be overkill.

I'm no expert, but I think the HT3000 will be way overkill for your space. I thought the 1800 was just right for me, but these new stoves really pump out some heat.

I'm no expert, but I think the HT3000 will be way overkill for your space. I thought the 1800 was just right for me, but these new stoves really pump out some heat.
As much as I’d like to get the bigger stove I agree, I think it’s overkill. I’m going to order the 1800 today , if it turns out to small or I’m just not happy with it I can make it my garage stove once it’s built this spring. I do have a 16x36 single slope shed on concrete Slab I built a few years ago too that I can add it in and replace the old stove I put in it
It’s a small stove not sure on Brand but the few times a year I’m out their for long periods it heats that space up quite well.

We cut quite a bit of wood around here and it’s fun for us, never feels like work.

Reactions: oilcan1001
Ya I saw that the HT3000 was on sale , and yes we get cold here but it’s dry, not a PNW damp high moisture kind of cold, I can wear a small puffy here if sun is out and 0 degrees no wind and be warmer than north Idaho , PNW at mid 20’s with the moisture. It’s just not as cold being so dry.
Don’t get me wrong with the wind chill we get it gets cold. This stove I have now is a us stove Chinese import, it was here when we bought the house. I did read that the ht3000 requires 15’ of pipe for proper draft. And the 1800 is 12’ which I currently have. My pipe is expose to the NW which is the direction We get winter wind, if I added another 3’ I’d have to add lateral bracing. Which probably isn’t a big deal. But it does get that pipe up in the air a ways and exposed to the winds we get, not every day. But it can blow here!
I thought maybe I could get the HT3000 and do want you suggested. Smaller fires, but it really sounds like that stove would be overkill.
Definitely make sure to get an easy breather like the 1800. A 12" chimney is going to have a significant negative impact on most stoves, especially something like a BK.

Definitely make sure to get an easy breather like the 1800. A 12" chimney is going to have a significant negative impact on most stoves, especially something like a BK.
So you mean because my length of pipe is short at 12’ ?
Maybe I’m not making sense
But I have roughly 12’ of pipe from top of stove to the cap on top outside .

Yes. A 12' chimney run is very short and will cause draft problems on most modern epa stoves. Most require a minimum 15' but would run smoother with even more.

Oh
So regardless of the 1800 or the ht3000 I would need to lengthen the pipe?
I was looking on drolet site on the 1800 and I cannot find in the installation manual anything about length of the chimney.
Is the length of chimney based solely on the stove? Or size of firebox? BTU capabilities? My elevation? Temperature? Climate?
All of the above?
I’m learning and I want to set this up right so I get the stoves full potential.

My home is single story, the stove is on outside wall but the chimney does go up through a gable on front of home so it’s taller than the roof line on both sides of gable. I’ll get pics real fast and add them here.
Thank you for any details or direction.

45EFCB9F-E607-4DFC-9455-0F415D8EBF24.jpeg
842F3018-35D5-487E-825F-DFF1A7DCD68B.jpeg EADEA2A7-E942-4190-9875-997053500B3D.jpeg