New to the site...Just bought a Hearthstone Homestead

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

04RevX

Hearth Supporter
Jul 5, 2008
Western MA
Hi everyone. Great site here. Chuck full of useful information.

I just scored a Hearthstone Homestead off craigslist for $1200. I thought that was a pretty good deal, do you? It looks brand new from the outside. He said it is only 1 year old which I think I believe him. I will be placing this in a fireplace in my living room which is centrally located in the center of a 1200 sq. ft ranch. My goal is to offset the insane costs of heating oil. I have a few cord of hardwood (mostly oak) already split and stacked since fall '07. I don't intend on burning 24/7 but we'll see how that goes. I grew up with a wood burning stove as the primary heat source and it pained me to write a check to the oil man for heat last winter. Plus I have access as many trees as I need on my fathers land. Nothing better than than free firewood (granted I put in the labor to get the tree down, split, and stack it...its still free in my book).

I do have a question about lining the chimney. I intend on going with a liner kit similar to the kit found on this page: http://chimneysweeponline.com/chstd.htm Where can I get the best price for this type of kit online and what manufacturers should I stay away from or go with? I have a local store that I will be getting a price from but wanted to get some info from here first. Thanks in advance for your help!

Howdy, welcome. Sounds like a great score, congratulations. Check out www.ventingpipe.com for some liner and liner kit pricing. Simpson is a decent brand, but there are others. Some folks have picked them up off of eBay.

Thanks for the reply. I picked the stove up on Sunday. Can't wait to actually start burning.

While doing research on this stove I came a cross an outside air kit option. I never knew this existed...what advantages do they provide?

an outside air kit is usually not necessary unless you have a super air tight house or installing the stove in a trailer/mobile home.

You'll want to do a search on outside air or OAK. Or since you found the chimneysweeponline site just read it there as he has a good article written in the article section.

I diagree with bluefrier in that it is always a good idea to install an outside air kit (OAK) and even required by code in my county. I equipped my hearthstone heritage with the inexpensive OAK and am very happy I did. The OAK sucks cold outside air into the chimney instead of sucking up the heated room air.

Status
Not open for further replies.