New to the stove world. What kind of stove is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Shep

Dec 5, 2015
Newbern,TN
I have recently bought a stove to put in my shop. I have always been interested in wood heating but I'm new at it. I would like to know something about the stove I got. Like is it a good stove? Around what year was it produced? I have a 30×40 shop and do the professional wood burners on here think it will work for that size. Thanks for any help you can give.

Attachments

• 20151222_144708.jpg
    20151222_144708.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 215
  • 20151222_144607.jpg
    20151222_144607.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 194
It's a Kodiak, typical of it's age (maybe around 1980?) It will heat the space and in cold weather will go through wood quickly. This is the first I've seen with glass. Is there a baffle in it and firebrick liner?

It's a Kodiak, typical of it's age (maybe around 1980?) It will heat the space and in cold weather will go through wood quickly. This is the first I've seen with glass. Is there a baffle in it and firebrick liner?

Yes there is. I can't any images on Google that look like it.

That's about average and it looks like this one was cleaned up nicely. With a baffle and firebrick liner it's going to burn a bit hotter and cleaner. Install it safely and enjoy the warmth.

That's about average and it looks like this one was cleaned up nicely. With a baffle and firebrick liner it's going to burn a bit hotter and cleaner. Install it safely and enjoy the warmth.
I plan on it. Thank you. Now I just have to keep a sharp maul.

Alaska Stove Works PA.jpg

Search Alaska Stove for pictures (Made in PA. Alaska Stove Company still in business)

Mauls aren't sharp. They don't need to be. It's all in how you hit it. Not like a wild man, be accurate and follow through.

Thank you. I'll have to practice on the accurate part.
Get a Fiskars x25 or super splitter. Can be had for $40 or so. Try it side by side w/ your maul. Cool stove BTW, looks really clean.

I agree with begreen that is a typical price for a stove of that vintage. And a pretty good price for one cleaned up like yours. It should do fine to heat your shop but like he said it will burn through wood quickly. I have seen a few with glass but not many.

Status
Not open for further replies.