1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
  1. snipersdad

snipersdad New Member

I just installed an Amnity Woodstove and it works great. However I looked outside and the 6 inch double wall pipe has some brown substance dripping off the cap. Can anyone let me know what this may be caused from. I run it pretty hot, usually around 500 to heat the house. Then durung the day we run it around 350. It goes up and down each time we load it but try to stay as close as we can to the same temperature. ANy suggestions would be welcome

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. KaptJaq

KaptJaq Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    I'll be the first to ask, how's your wood? Is it well seasoned with moisture content less than 22%? Wet wood puts a lot of creosote in the flue. Do you have an external flue? Is it insulated? An un-insulated flue lets the vapors in the exhaust gas cool as they travel up the flue, condensing on the sides of the flue and then dripping down.

First, get a moisture meter and check fresh splits to see the moisture content of your wood. If it is properly seasoned wood then describe your setup and the people around here will be glad to offer suggestions...

KaptJaq
    schlot likes this.
  3. schlot

schlot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Iowa
    Welcome aboard! Jaq has great points.If you don't have a moisture meter (MM) take a listen to your wood as it burns. Is it hissing and boiling off water?