New to wood /pellet boilers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vti-chris

Jan 23, 2012
Cyprus
Gas/petrol prices are constantly going up so i'm personally going away!!!

Looking into wood/pellet/multi fuel boilers.

I found one that can run with wood or pellet by inserting a pellet feeder and burner.

BUT the wood system seems to be needing wood every 3-4 hours according to the manual when other systems i see in the internet go up to 12 hours with the same wood load.

How is this working out?
Is it because of that gasification systems???

Here is the system i found to purchase.
http://www.ferroli.it/riscaldamento...UbLOtDICigIFQUxjBNMAiM0MDCyNTSwsrWsBLwUQfw..#

vti-chris said:
Gas/petrol prices are constantly going up so i'm personally going away!!!

Looking into wood/pellet/multi fuel boilers.

I found one that can run with wood or pellet by inserting a pellet feeder and burner.

BUT the wood system seems to be needing wood every 3-4 hours according to the manual when other systems i see in the internet go up to 12 hours with the same wood load.

How is this working out?
Is it because of that gasification systems???

Here is the system i found to purchase.
http://www.ferroli.it/riscaldamento...UbLOtDICigIFQUxjBNMAiM0MDCyNTSwsrWsBLwUQfw..#
Hi, welcome, If you are concerned about burn times I would recommend a pellet boiler/conversion for the Ferroli. The boiler you mention will be a creosote factory if you choke it down for 12 hour burns on log wood. It appears to be a cast iron sectional like the Biasi 3 Wood. Good luck, Randy

I was looking into the ATMOS in the internet as no-one imports it here.
http://www.atmos.cz/english/kotle-003-kombi-kotle-na-drevo-palety-eto-zemni-plyn

But to tell you the truth i prefer to use wood as it's much easier to find and stock up than pellets.
Here in Cyprus we mostly use broken up olive seeds as pellets instead of buying bags...but that needs some preparation for the seeds to dry out and pack them up in bags/boxes for the winter.
plus the Wood system alone is much cheaper than pellet system...at least this is what they told me.

I like the idea though of being able to convert one to the other if supply of each source isn't enough.

What is the difference of those wood boilers that last longer burning hours.

vti-chris said:
I was looking into the ATMOS in the internet as no-one imports it here.
http://www.atmos.cz/english/kotle-003-kombi-kotle-na-drevo-palety-eto-zemni-plyn

But to tell you the truth i prefer to use wood as it's much easier to find and stock up than pellets.
Here in Cyprus we mostly use broken up olive seeds as pellets instead of buying bags...but that needs some preparation for the seeds to dry out and pack them up in bags/boxes for the winter.
plus the Wood system alone is much cheaper than pellet system...at least this is what they told me.

I like the idea though of being able to convert one to the other if supply of each source isn't enough.

What is the difference of those wood boilers that last longer burning hours.
The only boiler that I am aware of that gives reliable 12 hour burns is a Outdoor Wood Boiler, affectionately know as the OWB, or smoke dragon for short. These are polluters. A gasification boiler can be run 2 ways, you can run small loads as required by the house(you will need to add wood all the time) or you can run the boiler flat out into storage(best way) although more upfront cost. Typical gasification boiler system costs are about 8 to $12,000. Mine was about $6500 doing it on the cheap. I don't get the impression you want to invest this kind of money in a system. I would suggest you look into the heaviest soapstone stove you can find that has secondary burn. Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.