1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

"New" Toy - Husky 288XP

Post in 'The Gear' started by Thistle, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Had it a couple days now,havent gave it much of a workout yet,but I really like it.Its a screaming mofo. :coolgrin: So much better with that decomp button,my Poulan 475 dont have one & it damn near killed me last winter lol. Great low earth-shaking burbling rumble when idling also.Should be able to do more cutting tommorow or Friday,weather permitting.Bought a very good used full-wrap handlebar for it on its way from British Columbia,Canada,that should arrive pretty soon.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Thistle, looks good. What type of round is the 288XP sitting on?

Zap
  3. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA

Eastern Redcedar/Juniper. Only thing I had here of any size that wasnt already split & stacked.Can't wait to try it out on some large standing dead Red/White Oak! :vampire: Am looking at the aftermarket large high HD air filter & cover for it also in the future,either that or the large foam filter & velocity stack with no cover. Plan on hot-rodding it a wee bit. :coolsmirk:
  4. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    Thanks, learned something new tonight. I never noticed the spring on the front of the 371 until I saw your pics.
  5. maxed_out

maxed_out New Member

Loc:
    Central Pa
  6. mainstation

mainstation Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    N.Ont.
    tonnes of power, hold on.
  7. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Awesome!
  8. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Tried it out yesterday. Perfect working weather - 72 degrees,low humidity,light breeze.Dropped a couple standing snags - 16" Red Oak,14" White Oak with the bad boy.This stack is now just over 6 feet tall & 11 feet 6 inches long.Before I started,it was barely 2 feet tall - did that amount last week. Dropping,bucking,hauling up to the processing area,splitting & stacking took just over 4 hours,including a 30 min lunch break & walk up over the far hill & back to stretch out my legs & back before returning.

I think I'll keep it. :coolgrin: ;-)

Attached Files:

9. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Just got a text to bring the big saw (and splitter) on the 17th of July! :coolgrin: Big sugar!
  10. wendell

wendell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    Congratulations! Everyone I know that has one absolutely loves that saw!!
  11. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Must be running pretty good now - according to cheap digital tach earlier - 14680RPM wide open,9500+ under load,2680 at idle.That tells me all I need. :coolgrin:
  12. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana

Yea thats a lot of rpm's on that size saw! :cheese:
  13. wendell

wendell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    14680 on a 288?!?

Max RPM is 12,500. I'm thinking you may be more than a tad lean.
  14. maxed_out

maxed_out New Member

Loc:
    Central Pa
    told you were gonna fall in love with that saw!

Wendell, thats some collection....your saw collection is a lot like mine (minus the Dolmars and Jonesreds...how do they compare to the 395? I do love my old 1-42's and I breeak out the 1-72 for fun sometimes. Amazes me that stuff still runs as well as it does for its age.
  15. wendell

wendell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    I need to remove the 7300. I just sold it yesterday and the 1-50 is almost ready to be moved out of the Project saw list. I thought I was going to have to replace the crank seals but it keeps running better every time I use it. I had to tear the tank apart on a 250 and grind it clean and should have a new tank gasket in the next couple days to get it back together.

They are fun to run!
  16. wendell

wendell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    How does which one compare to the 395? Both the 2171 and 7900 are ported so the 395 doesn't get pulled out until I need the 42" bar. The 2171 actually just won 7th place at the AS Work Saw Build-Off. It is a screamer. I was at a buddy's working on saws yesterday and he pulled out his 066 and I beat him by over 5 seconds in a 24" white pine log.