New Toy, I mean TOOL pic.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JP11

Minister of Fire
May 15, 2011
Central Maine
Just got delivered. Guess I know what i'm doing this afternoon. Sick of working on the groomer.. grease to my armpits. Be nice to put together a shiny new splitter.

JP

Attachments

• New Toy, I mean TOOL pic.
    IMG_0384.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 607
First thing my eye was drawn to was the Track Truck . . . our local club used to have a similar groomer . . . they ended up selling it several years back and are now using a Ford Ranger and Chevy S-10 with tracks . . . nice Kubota (I assume).

Yeah.. the track truck works for us. We have a member who has a blazer on tracks. We had a geo and an S10 at one point. Track truck is pretty rugged, and can run on no snow if you have to. I like that's it's diesel and made for the type of work we do with it. Seems to be rugged, and thus far has been easy on repair. Of course.. I've been grumbling away at how tight everything is in it. Rebuilding the exhaust now.

It's a kubota. 35 horse. I'll like that better when they come replace the door my dad busted off it. :)

JP

Where are you at JP . . . I only ask because I've only seen 1 or 2 tracked Geos . . . wondering if I've ridden your trail system.

That's us.. The moonshiners.

Geo is being ressurrected. A club member bough it, and is building new tracks.

Got some good help from another club member.. and didn't swear near as much tonight. Exhaust system all replaced. One of those jobs where you really need 4 hands.

Just got hydro fluid and filter left to do. Now we just need SNOW!!

Splitter is about 3/4 done. Guy was here replacing the glass on the kubota.. so I had help getting the beam mounted on the splitter.

Steady progress on all fronts today. Should be busting some rounds tomorrow.

JP

Run a track truck for a few yrs. Had good luck with it, just had to upgrade to heavier drags to accommodate riders like FFJ that started running our system. I've heard that boys a little crazy on a sled.

Oh yeah, stay on topic. Good luck with splitter.

flyingcow said:
Run a track truck for a few yrs. Had good luck with it, just had to upgrade to heavier drags to accommodate riders like FFJ that started running our system. I've heard that boys a little crazy on a sled.

Oh yeah, stay on topic. Good luck with splitter.

What are you saying . . . that I'm too fat . . . or tearing up the trail? ;) OK, yes on being too fat . . . but a negative on tearing up the trail . . . I always try to avoid leaving moguls.

And I guess I was wrong . . . I've never ridden in Minot . . . the Plymouth club had a Geo Tracker that was tracked . . . and yes . . . WE NEED SNOW!

I'd say you've got some real nice toys. How many tons is your Star splitter?

It's a 30 ton. I've been real impressed with it so far. I had it out there without the 4 way on it.

It started first pull right out of the box.

Idles down when the ram retracts. Only thing I don't like is the balance. I had hoped to just grab the tow chains with the bucket or forks.. and haul it around. It's not happening that way. Hardly any tongue weight, so it really needs to be on a ball. It flips over backwards otherwise.

Pallet forks are where it's at. I unloaded a whole bathroom's worth of tile. I had em pallet it up at lowes and drop it in my pickup.

Awful handy.

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.