New Toy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firecracker_77

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
I went ahead and shopped at my local dealers and after thinking on it, decided to pay the premium and get that 2 year warranty and known history of a new saw. Ran about 1.5 tanks through real gentle so far. Not fully broken in I guess. It does pull well so far but drinks gas and bar oil.

I like this saw but not as much as my beloved top handle mini 192. There is no substitute for lightweight.

I could have bought bigger, but at some point, you have to say enough is enough. 70cc is enough for me anyway.
DSC00170-002.JPG

Real nice!

The 044 440 441 is a tried and proven work horse. Awesome simply awesome saw ! After she's broke in i'd at least port the muffler and really let her breath,should boost torque
and help the saw to run cooler. But thats just me do what you want.;)

Reactions: firecracker_77
Awesome saw! I'm drooling just looking at it. Was at the dealer today picking up a case and a sharpening kit. Had a look at the saws. The 441 is a nice saw. Enjoy it.

The 044 440 441 is a tried and proven work horse. Awesome simply awesome saw ! After she's broke in i'd at least port the muffler and really let her breath,should boost torque
and help the saw to run cooler. But thats just me do what you want.;)

I will probably take it easy on modification during the warranty period. I will keep it in mind as a future option.

Awesome saw! I'm drooling just looking at it. Was at the dealer today picking up a case and a sharpening kit. Had a look at the saws. The 441 is a nice saw. Enjoy it.

I got it because my 290 was a little underpowered for some of the larger stuff. I will not use this everyday for sure. I use the smallest saw I can get away with. There's a lot more cutters to keep sharp here.

I wish they gave you the case with each purchase as part of the cost. I only got one free case and that was for the 290. How many extra chains do you have? That file was a good purchase. The sharp chain is crucial.

I wish they gave you the case with each purchase as part of the cost. I only got one free case. How many extra chains do you have? That file was a good purchase. The sharp chain is crucial.
I have only the one chain for now. It's a yellow, and cuts like crazy. I'm going to get two new chains when I replace the sprocket. It's a 270 that I just got it the other day. I also ordered a new air filter and picked up a new plug at the dealer today. Once I get it all tuned up it should be just enough saw for Me.

When you get to that point, there's a guy that started poking around here recently that you might want to talk to. He's been known to do good work "monkeying" around with these kinds of toys. ;)

I saw that thread.

I just love that it is sitting on your desk in the office after it has been to the woods. Good on you. Nice saw by the way

^^^ this is exactly what I was going to say. My kinda guy. LOL

Reactions: basod
A friend and a customer wants 50% ownership at 50% of my cost. Should I co-own the saw? Guy isn't a jerk and has money to pay for any repairs and maintenance. We already co-own the Huskee 22 ton splitter.

I wouldn't do that but that is just me. You would look at decreasing the life of your saw in 2, and possible issues if you both want to use it on the same day. The log splitter I would not see any issues, because you can pretty much narrow it down to a few days a year for use, (if only for home wood use) The saw could get a bit rough to have sign out days and such. Plus with the routine maintenence and costs like that, may get messy.

A friend and a customer wants 50% ownership at 50% of my cost. Should I co-own the saw? Guy isn't a jerk and has money to pay for any repairs and maintenance. We already co-own the Huskee 22 ton splitter.
Splitter I could see co-ownership working but a saw is a bit different. Many more consumables involved so who buys chains, bar oil, what mix gets used, etc. who determines when it meeds a new chain, bar, etc. Will it be sharp and ready to rock when you need it or will you be sharpening chain and dressing the bar every time you pick it up? Plus the logistics of the saw possibly not being around when you need it.

Reactions: firecracker_77
Splitter I could see co-ownership working but a saw is a bit different. Many more consumables involved so who buys chains, bar oil, what mix gets used, etc. who determines when it meeds a new chain, bar, etc. Will it be sharp and ready to rock when you need it or will you be sharpening chain and dressing the bar every time you pick it up? Plus the logistics of the saw possibly not being around when you need it.

I agree. I could afford it otherwise I wouldn't have laid out that kind of money...however, my cheap side says...well...if I could recover some of my money...

I guess it is a personal choice and for me based on the relationship. I have friends that can come by and take my saws, trailers, guns, quad, whatever is mine any time they want/need. No questions ask. I know other people whom I would not want looking at my toys. If I read correctly you do not feel this will be your often or daily use saw - rather you bought it to tackle BIG stuff now and then. With regards to that it seems like a decent idea to offset some cost with someone who treats and respects their equipment equal or better than you and has the means to replace or repair the item if it becomes necessary. If they do not have the means or personality to do so this could be a big, big strain on a relationship. The fact that this is a client potentially complicates this arrangement even more. Use you head and go into the deal with an understanding that you may have a crushed saw the first day it is used by the 2nd owner(chit happens)

If you can be ok with that and the 300 or so clams is important than go for it. It sounds like this individual "may" be borrowing the big rig regardless so it may be the most prudent arrangement anyway. At least you then know they have a vested interest in up keep/maintenance and overall care of the tool.

About the same as going into business with a friend, It will never work out and you might lose a friendship which Is more valuable than a saw!

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.