1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

New Toy

Post in 'The Gear' started by njtomatoguy, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njtomatoguy

njtomatoguy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Maple Shade, NJ
    I know this is off topic of woodstoves, so I put this here- yesterday, my 1 yr old weedwacker self destructed- went to the web loooking for a new one, and found Troy Built 4 cycle weedwacker that also takes five or six attachments.. I like the idea of 4-cycle- no mixing gas and oil, burns cleaner, etc.. Took the leap, bought it.. almost $200.. no attachments other than the trimmer head-=- THIS THING IS AWESOME!!! it's quiet, light weight, powerful, and very little vibration..

Yes, that's why I didn't check in yesterday..

Bob

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy New Member

Loc:
    Northern Colorado Mountains
    i have always wanted to get one of those and put a blade on it and just go out and destroy stuff.
  3. Shane

Shane Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Casper Wyoming
    For destructive purposes I'm more of a weedburner/flamthrower type of guy. Maybe they'll come up with one that runs on hydrogen :)
  4. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    I bought the same exact whacker about a month ago. Works great!
  5. Corie

Corie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Halifax, VA
    I can't say anything about that model, but I've used a few of the Stihl 4-mix hedge trimmers and they are pretty bitchin units, at least from personal experience. Don't know what the general consensus on them is
  6. njtomatoguy

Loc:
    Maple Shade, NJ
    so far, have cleaned up my property, my neighbors front yard.and used up all the string it came with.. It seems to burn really clean, no blue smoke like my neighbor has coming out of his. This is way more powerful than the electric one I had..I am going to get the tiller attachment next weekend..
  7. saichele

saichele Minister of Fire

I'd also recommend the edger if you have concrete (driveway or sidewalk). I also have the 'pole saw' attachment, and it kind of works, but it's probably only 20% the saw the real Stihl poe saw is (for about 20% of the cost...)

And yes, MSG, the saw blade thing works great. Our 1.5 acre lot was untended for about 15 yrs, and shrunk to about 1/4 acres right around the house, the rest being woody and non-woody crap. The blade doesn;t care until it hits something about 1.5 inches across.

Steve
  8. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I have the same weed wacker also. Love the power and dependability of the 4 stroke engine (***grunts like Tim the Tool Man***). The edger attachment also works well.
  9. babalu87

babalu87 New Member

Loc:
    middleborough, ma.
    Hey, this is the green room
    If you want to destroy stuff (LOL!) use a Machete............ just be sure you register it if you live in Massachusetts

I have the Ryobi that takes attachments
    The roto-tiler works great for smaller beds but I still fire up the Husky for the big work
  10. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy New Member

Loc:
    Northern Colorado Mountains
    Im moving this to the Gear room. Good thread! I will leave a moved tag in here for a bit so people know where it went.
  11. njtomatoguy

Loc:
    Maple Shade, NJ
    In my research, I have figured out the attachments I need to go completely cordless--

1. Edger- not really nescessary, because you can flip the trimmer attachment over 90 degrees, and it makes a pretty clean edge-some skill involved, so the edging will look better as I become familiar with the equipment.

2. Blower- this attachment will be a convenience, but I am concerned about the power.

3. Cultivator- My garden soil is sandy, so just a top mixing is nescessary=- adding compost, etc.

With these attachments, i will be completely cordless-- VERY Happy!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.