New toy!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bboulier

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2010
NE Virginia
The fellow next door donated his Stihl 018C to the neighborhood. I had it fixed up. It needed a new sparkplug, filter, and some replacement "plumbing" since it was a pre-ethanol chainsaw. Works great. Today I sawed through all the gnarly bits from a downed maple, some difficult to split pine, and some donated oak branches from a neighbor. Now, all I need is a neighbor to give me a pick-up truck and I will be able to stockpile all the wood needed for the future.

I have learned that, with the pine we have around here, I should go with a full skip chain. Our pines are 2-3 foot diameter and safty chains get too gummed up and end up burning sap while I sit there, one hand on the saw, thinking about the last Giants game.

Heats twice, The pine did cut more slowly than other wood.

bboulier said:
Heats twice, The pine did cut more slowly than other wood.

I assume that's a question. For me yes. But it could be a California thing. I burned up my 18" McCullough MacCat on 2' pine before switching to an MS390. Even still, its a bit of a chore to blow through the big ones with a safty chain. I mean it gets done. But not as fast as Oak, Madrone, Eucolyptus, Fir, Silver Maple, Walnut, or Acacia. Our pines get big and they are sticky. Great to burn with other hardwoods if only for the heat they put out. Don't know about your pines.

If it is a statment, then I concur.

The only chain I use is skip tooth. The only saw that will not take it is the small ms200s. Otherwise it is just easier to run one type of chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.