New Toy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drozenski

Hearth Supporter
Aug 14, 2010
Rochester NY
Finally took the plunge and got a splitter.

Went with this one because of many of the nice features most notably the front wheel. Makes moving it a breeze.

log.jpg

someone cut off your head.

Don't look like you tried it yet. let us Know how it works ,and where you got it.

woodsmaster said:
Don't look like you tried it yet. let us Know how it works ,and where you got it.

Thats just the pretty pic. I put the thing to the test.

Things i've disliked.

When not in vertical mode splits have a tendency to fall off the edge and almost hit the engine they bounce off the steel covering the tail light right now. I can tell i will be using it in vertical mode much much more than horizontal.

The huge wedge jams into the wood and kind of stalls then crack the wood splits. Im use to the wood splitting right away on a smaller wedge. Will just have to get use to it.

What i've liked

Fast 12-14 second cycle times.

Log dislodger

changeable directional exaust

Fully assembled with hydro fluid blead and tested at the shop, oiled and put through a 30 min test run

Front wheel

[quote author="drozenski" date="1302320486"]Finally took the plunge and got a splitter.

Nice new toy drozenski, who makes it?

Zap

Is the complaint when splitting horizontal related to the base being flat? I noticed that and thought how hard it would be to keep the log positioned.

And...What is a log dislodger?
I mean, besides the ax/maul I always seem to need when running a splitter.

loon said:
very nice looking unit drozenski ;-)

+1 looks really Nice!

Nice Splitter, i'm sure you will love it and find yourself wondering why you didn't buy one sooner.
Man I figured as I was scrolling down the list I would see Backwoods Savage on here explaining how you should use that splitter. ;-P
I say that in jest as I follow his advice 95% of the time. The only time I dont split vertical is if I'm splitting right out of the bed of the pickup as 1 motorcylce wreck and messed up discs don't lend themselves to picking up rounds.

My Husky 28 ton has that too. It is a great addition to the setup. Some wood just grabs onto the wedge. Even splitting vertically, and on very large wood, many times the brace is needed to dislodge the log. Be aware though, this is a potentially dangerous spot. One can get complacent when the wedge is moving away from the cut direction, and too late comes quickly when your hand is in the way of those braces. Be careful!

loon said:
granpajohn said:
And...What is a log dislodger?
I mean, besides the ax/maul I always seem to need when running a splitter.

;-)

log.jpg

That is almost the same as the troy built.

Nice, love the color. Looks like our red one.

Very nice
Looks like those rounds by you need some "down sizing" vertically.
Good test for a new splitter.
Next picture should have some dirt, bark & wood staining :)
Congrats!

A short critique- Too clean, positioned horizontal (wrong), too clean, not positioned correctly (verticle), too clean,.........Outside of that, that looks like a very nice splitter, but I honestly want to know how the "log dislodgers" work. More to the point, how they hold up. Nice job. JB

Did the manager or other workers formerly dance with Michael Jackson in "Thriller"? Do I have a third eye in the middle of my forehead? Appropriate questions, I believe.

Nice splitter, street legal...looks like the bolts are probably tightened, too, that's a bonus!!!!

Ed

Why are the "log dislodgers" needed? My home made doesn't have them & in all the years of splitting, I have never had a piece of wood get stuck. To me they look like an accident waiting to happen. I know I would get my hand wedged in there.
Al

Beetle-Kill said:
A short critique- Too clean, positioned horizontal (wrong), too clean, not positioned correctly (verticle), too clean,.........Outside of that, that looks like a very nice splitter, but I honestly want to know how the "log dislodgers" work. More to the point, how they hold up. Nice job. JB

My splitter is a year old and we have split about 10 cords with it and so far the log dislodgers have held up fine. Realistically they probably only get used once or twice per cord of wood and most of the time it is a piece you could have just pulled off if you wanted to.

drozenski said:
woodsmaster said:

Things i've disliked.

When not in vertical mode splits have a tendency to fall off the edge and almost hit the engine they bounce off the steel covering the tail light right now. I can tell i will be using it in vertical mode much much more than horizontal.

The huge wedge jams into the wood and kind of stalls then crack the wood splits. Im use to the wood splitting right away on a smaller wedge. Will just have to get use to it.

So as not to disappoint the good folks here, I suggest you use that thing only in the vertical mode; the way it was designed to be used. It will save you a lot of work for sure. Especially when you look at those logs in the picture. One does not normally want to be lifting those things up. Better to split vertically and just roll them onto the splitter. They won't fall on your feet or the engine that way either.

I've seen recent videos where the splitters appear to be designed now where the engine almost stalls and I don't like that at all. What happened to the 2-stage pumps? Mine might work a little before it goes to the slow speed but it no way lugs down to almost stall. What gives here?

On the log dislodger, I'd say it has been used maybe 5 or 6 times in the 20+ years we've had the splitter....and it was all on elm.

lobsta1 said:
Why are the "log dislodgers" needed? My home made doesn't have them & in all the years of splitting, I have never had a piece of wood get stuck. To me they look like an accident waiting to happen. I know I would get my hand wedged in there.
Al

There aren't too many places on the splitter where you'd want to put your hand. The dislodger does not make things more accident prone and I'm not really sure why you'd think that is such a dangerous thing. It is not. Do you need it? No. If one got stuck you could always take another log and knock it off the wedge. It is just one of those little things to make the splitter just a little bit better for the operator. Some woods will stick and others will never stick. As stated, we rarely get one stuck.

The shape of the wedge on the ram and nature of the wood being split plays a role as to whether a log gets stuck on the ram. Your homemade splitter may have a wedge design that does a good job at keeping things from getting stuck.

1. The dislodger is a nice convenience since you don't have to stop your routine to pick up a tool to get the round off the wedge.
2. Banging on a log to free it is not good for the ram & cylinder system.
3. Retracting the ram with a stuck log to the point where the log contacts the cylinder is not good for the cylinder.

Looks like Cub Cadet Yellow and identical to Yard Machines/MTD/etc. though I didn't think the latter owned the former?

S

thinkxingu said:
Looks like Cub Cadet Yellow and identical to Yard Machines/MTD/etc. though I didn't think the latter owned the former?

S

it is a Cub Cadet 27 ton

Dam thing blew a hose today. Out went 2.5 gallons of hydro oil

Took the thing back. The factory didn't tighten a clamp properly so the hose came off.

Got a free hydro oil fill, free tank of gas, 2 gallons of oil, the machine pressure washed and tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.