New Truper splitter on it's way out already.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
I noticed yesterday that the new Truper splitter that I purchased from Tractor Supply a couple months ago (10-15 cord ago) has a crack all the way around the handle. Still seems to be tight, but that crack has me thinking that the head is slowly trying to work it's way off the end, taking the plastic covering with it. Not to worry, because my favorite old heirloom maul is at the ready, to be put back into service whenever needed. And now that Fiskars finally came out with a full-size handle on one of their splitters, I am also going to buy one of those to goof around with if they become available in this area.
IMG_0008%2520%25281024x768%2529.jpg

I think you should look for a tungsten carbide maul with a titanium alloy handle.

mayhem said:
Take it back.

Agreed... Take it back. Only a couple months?? I know your a splittin fool. But they dont need to know that. Tell them you only did a cord and would like to return it for an in store credit. Put your money towards something else, or see if you can get a refund and save the money for that "New Fiskars". LOL.

Just tell'em that you've only had it a couple of months and used it to split some oak/ash/whatever wood. You will have already given them too much info for them to assimilate. And they will never imagine that you split more wood manually than most folks do with their Huskee 22-tonners! Hint to them that you're worried the maul head may eventually come off and bean yours. ;)

Ed

10-15 cord is like 3 yrs splitting for most people. That's not an unreasonable life for a handle. (in 3-5 yrs, the handle doesn't go bad when not splitting).

Maybe you can bring it back, but I wouldn't be so disappointed in your investment.

That is one thing you will like about the fiskars, handle is guaranteed for life.

There should be a warranty on that thing that is far longer than a couple of months, regardless of how much wood you've split with it. They don't issue a 'Twenty Cord Guarantee." They issue warranties by time. The fact that you bought it two months ago should be enough. No need to be dishonest by claiming that it was used only once by your widowed Aunt who only used it when it was her Sunday School classes' turn to clean up the church yard.

I might still have the sales receipt somewhere in my menagerie of stuff around here. I probably won't ask for a replacement because I usually don’t have much luck with a second one in cases like this. If the first one was too weak for me, the next one usually is too. An in-store credit might be ok. My cousin Eddie works at the Tractor Supply where I bought it, but I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing (he knows how much wood I split). But like Adios says; "I wouldn’t be so disappointed in your investment." I'm not too worried about it and for right now I'm going to shrug my shoulders, I only paid 20 bucks for it. I think I'm going to keep using it until I either determine that the crack is just superficial.....or the head flies off! Then I will make my final decision about whether or not to bother returning it.

quads said:
I noticed yesterday that the new Truper splitter that I purchased from Tractor Supply a couple months ago (10-15 cord ago) has a crack all the way around the handle. Still seems to be tight, but that crack has me thinking that the head is slowly trying to work it's way off the end, taking the plastic covering with it. Not to worry, because my favorite old heirloom maul is at the ready, to be put back into service whenever needed. And now that Fiskars finally came out with a full-size handle on one of their splitters, I am also going to buy one of those to goof around with if they become available in this area.
IMG_0008%20%281024x768%29.jpg
Quads
The handle on that maul will easily seperate from the head if you grasp the head and pound the other end of the handle ( the one you hold to use the maul when splitting) on a concrete floor. The least they should do is replace the handle IMO. Sears has been selling that Truper Maul rebadged as Craftsmen. Craftsmen tools have a lifetime warentee I think. I got one on sale shipped UPS to my home for less than $15 including tax,the cost of the maul, and shipping. I kept seeing members posting the sale but could not find a maul available anywhere from a Sears store. I called the local independant Sears store and they found one for me. Maybe if you take the tool apart you can better check the damage.
Tom

Should have no problems with Tractor Supply. A few months and looks like that, they will replace and I would not feel bad asking them to do so. Good luck quads.

Looks like its really just the plastic shock collar thats cracked. IIRC fiberglass doesn't crack like that, it tears and is real messy. I bet it goes years still.

Take it back and get a real one with a wood handle. That design seemed to work for several hundred years... :long:

RNLA said:
Take it back and get a real one with a wood handle. That design seemed to work for several hundred years... :long:
A wooden handle is the reason why I bought this one in the first place. I had a fiberglass handle on my old heirloom maul for over 25 years. When it finally started to go bad, I replaced it with a wooden handle. But, I can't keep the wooden handle as tight as I want it. I put the wooden wedge in it and the metal one....and then another metal one....and one more metal one. After a few days/couple cord the wooden handle begins to work loose. It also seems to be affected by temperature and humidity. I tried epoxying it in too, but after a few powerful swings the epoxy disappears. So, I set out to buy a new fiberglass handle and when I was at Tractor Supply they had these Truper mauls for about the same price as a fiberglass handle. The Truper maul is the first one I have ever seen with a head shape that I liked, very close to the same shape as my old faithful maul. I have another new maul hanging in the garage that I have never taken a swing with because I don't like the way it looks.

So, I do actually already have a real one with a wooden handle.......I just don't like the 'swing, bang the end of the handle to tighten the head, swing, bang the end of the handle to tighten the head, swing....' routine.

Ya, that gets old fast quads.

Status
Not open for further replies.