new use for pellet bags

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife decided that we would line the kitchen garbage pail with empty pellet bags and, when full, tie it closed with the 'top' of the bag that was cut off (I cut the top all the way across). We use four tons a season so I don't think we have bought garbage bags for a couple of years!

Kittery said:
My wife decided that we would line the kitchen garbage pail with empty pellet bags and, when full, tie it closed with the 'top' of the bag that was cut off (I cut the top all the way across). We use four tons a season so I don't think we have bought garbage bags for a couple of years!

Problem with that is the bags have little holes in them to let the air out when they stack the bags onto the pallets. So don't be thinking that the bags won't leak!

use one mt pellet bag - to stuff fifteen more into so they all fit in the trash easier

Sting said:
use one mt pellet bag - to stuff fifteen more into so they all fit in the trash easier

We do this but bring them to the local groecery store or walmart and place them in the plastic bag recycle bin! I also do this with the wrap and cover.

I just spent the last two hours cutting them so that I get a roughly 3 foot by two foot white rectangle which I plan to put in the garden ,cut holes in them and plant onions in the holes. I'm thinkin I'll sharpen a pipe to punch holes in a stack of them all at once.Cutting them is very tedious.

They go out to the curb with the recycles each week.

I find that, with recycling, that one week's trash fits nicely into a pellet bag. I use a turn of packing tape to hold it closed.

I use my bags for garbage bags. My bags do not have little holes so they don't leak. They work well for garbage bags.

We use them when cleaning the litter box. They're nice and sturdy - my b/f thinks they're the best thing in the world for litter.

silvermander said:
We use them when cleaning the litter box. They're nice and sturdy - my b/f thinks they're the best thing in the world for litter.

How many other things has your b/f tried for litter?

Cram them full of recycle soft plastic. They hold around 10 lbs which is a lot of plastic when you really stuff em. I staple the top shut and take them to Hanafords or any other place that recycles bags. It gets rid of em...................

I found a new use for the crappy FULL bags of pellets that I have. I used 4 bags to block the water flowing in the door of my walk out basement 2 nights ago. Seems a perfect storm of snow then freezing rain and then straight rain conspired to both flood the back patio where that door is and create an ice dam in the gutter above the door. One minute the basement was dry - 45 minutes later I had vacuumed 40+ gallons of water out. In my frantic rush to block the flow I had a (rare) stroke of genius and used the 4 bags of crappy pellets to sandbag the door.

staplebox said:
I found a new use for the crappy FULL bags of pellets that I have. I used 4 bags to block the water flowing in the door of my walk out basement 2 nights ago. Seems a perfect storm of snow then freezing rain and then straight rain conspired to both flood the back patio where that door is and create an ice dam in the gutter above the door. One minute the basement was dry - 45 minutes later I had vacuumed 40+ gallons of water out. In my frantic rush to block the flow I had a (rare) stroke of genius and used the 4 bags of crappy pellets to sandbag the door.

Amazing how much pellets can soak up water. Should see what they look like after they get wet and then you freeze them. Can make a bomb shelter using them!

matt85bears said:
I use my bags for garbage bags. My bags do not have little holes so they don't leak. They work well for garbage bags.

If they came on a pallet....then they have holes in them...they are just really small so you can't seee them.
Don't believe me take a sealed closed bag of pellets and stick them in a container of water for 2 or 3 minutes. You will find water in the bag.
They use the holes to let the air out of the bag when they stack them onto the pallet.

I found the ultimate use for pellet bags. Went camping this week and brought some wood in the bags to keep the car clean. No thats not why I am posting this.... Love to play ping pong but no net.......... or is there..... (LG Pellet bag)

Attachments

• 7616_1160876916498_1665066613_393748_4867470_n.jpg
    7616_1160876916498_1665066613_393748_4867470_n.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 393
Status
Not open for further replies.