New washer and dryer. Wow on the energy savings!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If you are wanting a machine that is going to last a long time I'd check these machines out. They built about an hour away from my house.
http://www.staber.com/
Is there a large market for machines in THAT Price range. I have a Kenmore Front loading Washerand a maytag Dryer for 18 years,both still work. $1000 and $400. For me its front loader only. After extensive experience with both types. Now have a HE GE top loader but i dont like its cleaning performance.

Edit: from what I see the AWN432 is no longer available and the reviews I’ve seen on YouTube say the 2018 Speed Queen models have been drastically changed for the worse and some say not to buy them...?

yep, the jury is still out on the new ones. They basically changed how it washes and the agitation. It's a much gentler agitation. I purposely bought a left over 2017 model because I didn't know for sure about the new ones. I plan on calling the place I bought mine from in a couple of years and see how the 2018+ models are holding up. I asked them about the new ones and they told me they are aware of the changes and are "crossing their fingers". SQ is known in the industry for quality and cleaning ability, and if the bean counters messed with that they would only be shooting themselves in the foot. They have sold a handful of the new models and so far no complaints. The new ones are "supposed to" clean even better than the old ones, but seeing the differences in the agitation first hand, I find that hard to believe. Could be completely wrong though.

Phone book test:

If you are wanting a machine that is going to last a long time I'd check these machines out. They built about an hour away from my house.

http://www.staber.com/

very cool. Speed Queens are built about 1.5 hours from our house.

Sure don't have very good reviews online though. !!! Ran across these two links in just trying to find out more about them and looking for videos of their wash cycle. After reading what I have read so far, I would have ruled them out without even watching the wash cycle. It only has a 2.0CF wash tub as well. !!! That's crazy small. Seem very prone to going out of balance. Plus I don't like HE washers. It takes water to clean well, pretty simple. We have a private well and a mound system, so how much water we use doesn't really matter, it all goes back into the field of play.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/staber_industries.html

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/misc.consumers.frugal-living/QHf3yG38f2g/dsY51EJUISgJ

Last edited:
Reactions: Highbeam
Sure don't have very good reviews online though. !!! Ran across these two links in just trying to find out more about them and looking for videos of their wash cycle. After reading what I have read so far, I would have ruled them out without even watching the wash cycle. It only has a 2.0CF wash tub as well. !!! That's crazy small. Seem very prone to going out of balance. Plus I don't like HE washers. It takes water to clean well, pretty simple. We have a private well and a mound system, so how much water we use doesn't really matter, it all goes back into the field of play.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/staber_industries.html

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/misc.consumers.frugal-living/QHf3yG38f2g/dsY51EJUISgJ
I didn't realize they had somewhat of a bad name. My brother was talking them up awhile ago and he generally is pretty up on top of stuff. I consider myself to be somewhat frugal so we don't have a Staber. We have a HE top loading Maytag that we have had zero problems out of since we have owned it.

I didn't realize they had somewhat of a bad name. My brother was talking them up awhile ago and he generally is pretty up on top of stuff. I consider myself to be somewhat frugal so we don't have a Staber. We have a HE top loading Maytag that we have had zero problems out of since we have owned it.

I'm frugal too (just ask anybody who knows me...lol), however I don't like buying junk. I have no problems paying for quality. I learned a long time ago it's easier for me to just cry once. The problem is almost everything available these days is polished junk. Made to appeal aesthetically to the consumer but made from inferior components. The cheap stuff is not cheap enough and the good quality stuff is now overpriced because of it.

Reactions: sloeffle
I'm frugal too (just ask anybody who knows me...lol), however I don't like buying junk. I have no problems paying for quality. I learned a long time ago it's easier for me to just cry once. The problem is almost everything available these days is polished junk. Made to appeal aesthetically to the consumer but made from inferior components. The cheap stuff is not cheap enough and the good quality stuff is now overpriced because of it.
We must be from the same family, just 500 miles away. ;lol I have the same exact philosophies when it comes to buying things.

Reactions: JRHAWK9
Sure enough 6 months in and the main control board failed. Was replaced under warranty by Samsung. Took me all of 5 mins to swap the old top loader in. Glad I kept the old one just in case as from my original post I was a bit skeptical with the electronics with these.

That's too bad, dang. I like my Samsung phone but not sure I'd buy anything else with their tag on it. Maybe a TV, but certainly not an appliance, just from what I've read.

How long can you keep doing that under warranty if it happens again?

Have a $3000 LG fridge that has had every component in it replaced(6 service calls) within 6 months of delivery. After 3 yrs the ice maker quit and that was replaced under HD ext. warranty. About 5 yr out now and out of warranty and temp is all over the place. I don't think id go in for any LG appliances again

Have a $3000 LG fridge that has had every component in it replaced(6 service calls) within 6 months of delivery. After 3 yrs the ice maker quit and that was replaced under HD ext. warranty. About 5 yr out now and out of warranty and temp is all over the place. I don't think id go in for any LG appliances again
That's a serious bummer. We have a large energy star GE fridge that so far has had no service in 8 years. Hope it continues this way, it's been great.

That's too bad, dang. I like my Samsung phone but not sure I'd buy anything else with their tag on it. Maybe a TV, but certainly not an appliance, just from what I've read.

How long can you keep doing that under warranty if it happens again?

Samsung has a 1 year parts and labor warranty but we bought the 5 year extended warranty for around $150. I know the old stuff is reliable and simple but this thing cleans great and is crazy energy efficient.

You guys need to stop shopping at the big box stores for starters. Also stop listening to sales people. Contact a third party service repair shop who have no vested interest in what you purchase. If you talk to any seasoned repairman they will tell you to stay away from all the LG, Samsung, etc crap out there today. Most ALL of the consumer level stuff out today are made to look blingy and aesthetically pleasing but are designed/built like crap.

Reactions: sloeffle
That's a serious bummer. We have a large energy star GE fridge that so far has had no service in 8 years. Hope it continues this way, it's been great.
We started to lean toward GE recently. We have a top of the line GE Eco washer. Its been 5 years or so and this thing is going constantly, has a lot of miles already and still looks and works like new.

You guys need to stop shopping at the big box stores for starters. Also stop listening to sales people. Contact a third party service repair shop who have no vested interest in what you purchase. .
Its all about the warranty. My third party service guy will tell you they all are subpar these days. One of my golden rules is always get at least 5yrs on a fridge with an in the door ice dispenser. So far iv never had one last more then 2 or 3 yrs without have to be replaced.

Before I got our refrig I researched repair records for the models that had the features we wanted and the best service record. That brought the GE to the top of the list, and my wife liked the layout.

Replaced our fridge with a bottom tier GE from Home Depot a few years ago and it has performed flawlessly. And energy consumption dropped like a rock.

Replaced our fridge with a bottom tier GE from Home Depot a few years ago and it has performed flawlessly. And energy consumption dropped like a rock.

I did the same thing. The Lowe’s guy kept warning me that this fridge couldn’t be used in an Unheated space like my garage. He just couldn’t believe a guy would put such a low frills refrigerator in his kitchen! No ice maker!

We use the thru the door ice dispenser a lot. I guess thats one reason iv never had one last more than 2 years before needing servicing/replacing.

Ours is french door style with freezer and icemaker on the bottom.

2200$ lg fridge, we loved our lg fridge we had purchased for previous house. The in door ice maker stopped working 9 months in.
Had lg out, confirmed ice maker dead need to receive invoice from lg to get new ice maker. Lg gave the repair company info from our old fridge. This has become such a cluster f$&k the original company has stopped servicing lg fridges. Still no resolution. LG customer service is horrendous. We love the fridge but it’s no good with no service availability.

I'm in the market for a new washer and dryer. I know LG's are out. A guy at work had a nightmare for weeks getting his LG fridge fixed even under warranty. Samsung energy usage sounds awesome, but having to replace the control board even under warranty makes me wary. I have a Whirlpool fridge that has been flawless for the past 6 years. I'm leaning towards Maytag/Whirlpool (same thing these days). Does anyone know if the "tried and true brands" energy usage is as low as the Samsungs?

This is what I'm eyeing up, Maytag Bravos:
https://www.menards.com/main/p-1444446921276.htm
https://www.menards.com/main/p-1444446923463.htm

got an lg washer all the bells and whistles but it is a top loader vs the front load- nary a glitch for 6 years. Now that I have written this it will likely disintegrate.

We bought a Samsung fridge about 8 years ago and have had no problems with it.
Funny, one of the prime reasons for choosing the Samsung for us was how the air circulated through the condenser on the bottom. We have 4 dogs and a cat and wanted air to move from the back to exhaust at the floor to keep the condenser coil clean. I installed a filter over the air intake on the back. This has worked well for us. Other than cleaning that filter and the unit's interior we've done no maintenance or repairs.

I'm in the market for a new washer and dryer. I know LG's are out. A guy at work had a nightmare for weeks getting his LG fridge fixed even under warranty. Samsung energy usage sounds awesome, but having to replace the control board even under warranty makes me wary. I have a Whirlpool fridge that has been flawless for the past 6 years. I'm leaning towards Maytag/Whirlpool (same thing these days). Does anyone know if the "tried and true brands" energy usage is as low as the Samsungs?

This is what I'm eyeing up, Maytag Bravos:
https://www.menards.com/main/p-1444446921276.htm
https://www.menards.com/main/p-1444446923463.htm
If I was looking for a washer now I'd lean heavily towards those that spin at high speeds for water removal.
Whether horizontal or vertical, high speed spin really decreases drying time and potentially, energy use. Some synthetics come out almost completely dry.

We've done well with our Frigidaire front loader. No repairs in the past 5 yrs. and it does a nice job. The washer is actually made by Electrolux of Sweden which is the parent company.

I finally had ours pumped a couple years ago, after procrastinating severely since we built the place - and I know better, since I also have to dabble with septic things now & again for work. I think it had been a year away from 20 years. And it was pretty full, the pumper earned his way that day. Field still doing OK, but suspect either we got lucky, or it is about ready to bung up.

The thing that really grabbed me was all the baby wipes in the bottom. After raising 3 kids - that was a lot of wipes. Those things don't degrade at all, despite what the package might claim - they looked like the day they got flushed. Very ugly.
Man, I feel you. Those baby wipes are the worst!