New water heater, new wood stove, Now new chimney liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sledhead41

Sep 16, 2007
Circle Pines, Minnesota
I have a masonary chimney just for the wood stove. I bought the house and have used it for 10 years now, cleaned it every year with no problems. I have a 30 year old Sierra wood stove. It uses alot of wood but works fine. I dont shut the air compleatly off at night and have enough coals to start a new fire in the morning. I need a new stove with Outside Air Kit to keep water heater running right.
I just had a guy tell me, "with a new stove I should get a stainless steel liner for the chiminey. People are getting creasult build up and their stoves are not working right." Do the new stoves [non cat] creat more build up? Is the longer burn time due to less air witch would create creasult buildup?
Thanks for the info
Don

New stoves burn cleaner. They create less creosote usually. But it does depend on the wood, the flue and the temps one burns at.

Describe the chimney. Is it interior or exterior? What is the tile flue pipe size?

Newer stoves burn cleaner and put less heat into the flue. This means they need a properly sized flue to get a good draft going. It is also known that most clay and block chimneys are not built to code, so adding an insulated liner adds a great measure of safety and brings the chimney system up to code.

Status
Not open for further replies.