New wood heat user. Englander 30NC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok last winter i was thinking about doing a wood stove because i have a woodshop that makes lots of kiln dried oak scraps, and my house is 100% electric and very expensive to heat. this winter i made it a reality. Made a hearth, covered the hearth and walls with tile ( my first time tiling) and installed a englander 30NC this is my 5th day of no electric heat. So far i love the stove, im getting 8-12 hour burns and im warm so im happy. One thing i used some black pipe dope to seal where the black pipe connects inside the house, and most of it has dried up and cracked off leaving me a bit worried about carbon monoxide. perhaps i should have let the putty sit overnight?

Attachments

• 0_IMAGE_038.jpg
    0_IMAGE_038.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 895
If you're talking about the slip joints between sections of single-wall stovepipe (which is what it looks like you've used)...if the connector pipe/chimney system is properly installed and has no draft problem, then there will be no leakage of CO or any other product of combustion out of the pipe during operation of the stove. If the joints are not completely airtight, room air will drawn into the pipe and exit the home out the top of the chimney. Rick

That looks very nice. I really like it. I am shocked that your getting 8 to 12 hour burns already and it's not even a cat stove. My Buck keeps us toasty warm but we sure can't get burns anywhere near that long with it. Nice stove and Super work on your Hearth!

Very pretty Constrictor...I don't think an elevated hearth would work out for me but it does accent the stove well.

I like it! Nothing like stepping back and admiring the work you have done. The tiling job looks fantastic, especially for a first timer. Well done!

Nicley Done!

it looks great! very nice tile job for a first timer. enjoy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.