new wood insert vs blower door test

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

forcedexposure

Jun 14, 2020
Arlington, MA
Hello folks,

Last December, I had a new wood burning stove insert installed. I LOVE it! It’s a Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 in ivory, the 2020 EPA standard. It’s so pretty and does a great job of quickly heating up get house.

But. Last week, an extensive amount of insulation and air sealing work was completed on my 1934 1 1/2 story house. And when we did the final blower test, I was sitting on the couch, in front of the insert and felt a cool breeze on my ankles. An enormous amount of air was coming from the Pacific Energy wood insert!

Is this normal? I assumed when the wood stove was installed, there would be less air escaping through the chimney, that it would be air sealed.

What do you think?

thanks, Kris

That's not surprising. There is an open path down the flue to the air intakes. If they sealed up the house extremely tight then the insert may need to have an outside air supply connected. Try a small fire when it is below 50º outside and make sure the stove still drafts properly. If it is sluggish and spills smoke when the door is slowly opened, that may be an indicator. At that point open a nearby window 1". If that corrects the behavior and the fire gains strength, then the insert will need a fresh air supply. Sometimes this can be done via the ash pit if there is one.

A blower door test puts the house under vacuum. Any place that can leak, will. A blower door test is not real life.
You will likely be just fine as-is. If not, add an air intake as stated.